This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9546 / 52°57'16"N
Longitude: -1.1572 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 456720
OS Northings: 340028
OS Grid: SK567400
Mapcode National: GBR LMN.KZ
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.6Z7S
Plus Code: 9C4WXR3V+V4
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St Barnabas and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457094
Location: Castle, Nottingham, NG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SE DERBY ROAD
646-1/13/187 (South side)
11/08/52 Cathedral Church of St Barnabas and
attached boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
Roman Catholic Cathedral of St
Roman Catholic church, created a cathedral in 1851. 1841-44.
By Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for John Talbot, 16th Earl
of Shrewsbury, and Ambrose Philipps de Lisle. Altered late C19,
Restored 1933 and c1990. Ashlar with slate roofs. Gothic
PLAN: cruciform plan, nearly symmetrical, with crossing tower
EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables with crosses. Windows are
mainly plain lancets. Choir with eastern chapel and side
chapels, crossing and transepts, nave with aisles and 3
porches. East end has a projecting central gable with 3
graduated lancets. Side chapels have single lancets to east
and 2 lancets to the returns. Choir has a round east window
with plate tracery, and 3 pairs of lancets to the clerestory.
Side chapels have buttresses to east, and 3 lancets.
Transepts have buttresses to east, and very tall triple
lancets with quatrefoils above, all with hood moulds. Organ
chamber, to north-east, has 2 lancets. Blessed Sacrament
chapel, to south east, has 3 lancets. sacristy corridor, to
south east, linked to adjoining presbytery.
Square crossing tower, 2 stages, has a recessed bell stage
with two 2-light pointed arched openings with moulded
surrounds. Octagonal broach spire with diagonal buttresses
containing niches. Between them, single lucarnes.
Nave has 5 pairs of clerestory lancets. West end has clasping
buttresses and a moulded doorcase with hood mould and triple
shafts. Above it, a triple lancet and quatrefoils.
Aisles have 4 side lancets and single west windows. Off-centre
porches with moulded pointed arched doorways.
INTERIOR: Pugin's decorative scheme was never completed, and
was further reduced late C19 and 1962. The Blessed Sacrament
(SE) chapel was restored to Pugin's design by Alphege Pippet
in 1933. Redecorated 1971-74. Double chamfered arches
Choir has arch braced roof, and arcades with quatrefoil piers,
3 bays, with wooden screens. East end has a moulded double
arch with octagonal pier. West arch, flanked by figures in
niches, has a hanging crucifix by Pugin. Crypt, 3 bays, has
segmental pointed arches on round piers, and contains the
tombs of 5 bishops.
Blessed Sacrament chapel has elaborate stencilled decoration.
North arcade, 3 bays, with wooden screen. Arch braced roof
with wall shafts and angel corbels. East end has a baldacchino
with marble pillars and cusped arch, under a gable. Windows
have stained glass, that to south designed by Pugin and made
Central east chapel has arch and screen on each side, aumbry,
piscina and sedilia to east, and ashlar blind arcade at east
end. North and south chapels are similar, without sedilia. All
have scissor braced roofs. Ambulatory, 3 bays, has shrine with
figure on bracket, and door to Presbytery at south end.
Crossing has an arcaded corbel table with 4 pointed arched
openings above it, and cross beam ceiling.
Transepts have stained glass windows. On the east sides,
pointed arches into the organ chamber and south-east chapel.
Nave has arcades, 5 bays, with octagonal piers, double
clerestory windows and strutted king post roof with collar
purlins. Aisles have lean to roofs and eastern arches.
Fittings include C19 square font on round columns. Other
fittings mid and late C20. Aisle windows have stained glass by
Pugin. Transepts have stained glass, mid C20, by Nuttgens. No
memorials of special interest.
Attached boundary wall, ashlar with gabled coping, bordering
Derby Road and North Circus Street. Approx 60m x 40m.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 241-242; Nottingham Cathedral: a history of Catholic
Nottingham: Mgr. M Cummins: Nottingham: 1977-1985: PASSIM).
Listing NGR: SK5672040028
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings