History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nottingham Society for the Deaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9628 / 52°57'46"N

Longitude: -1.163 / 1°9'46"W

OS Eastings: 456320

OS Northings: 340931

OS Grid: SK563409

Mapcode National: GBR LLL.91

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.3SGJ

Entry Name: Nottingham Society for the Deaf

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457118

Location: Nottingham, NG7

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE FOREST ROAD WEST
646-1/4/204 (North West side)
No.22
Nottingham Society for the Deaf

II

Formerly known as: Paton College FOREST ROAD WEST.
School, now offices and meeting rooms. Dated 1867, converted
1930, with mid and late C20 alterations. Red brick, with
ashlar and terracotta dressings and steep pitched slate roof
with 2 gable and single side wall stacks. Gothic Revival
style.
Plinth, string courses, impost bands and hood moulds. Windows
are mainly casements in pointed arched openings. 2 storeys
plus attics; 5:1 bays.
Central gabled porch with enriched pointed arch and hood
mould, shouldered double door, and crest in gable. On each
side, two plate traceried 2-light windows. Beyond, to right,
an altered doorway. Above, a large gable through eaves dormer
with coped gable and kneelers, with a traceried 3-light window
and above it, a traceried round window. On each side, two
2-light windows with central shafts, all on a sill band. To
right, a single light window with small casements above and
below it. Above again, to right, a small dormer, 2 lights,
with coped gable.
INTERIOR retains entrance hall with 3 bay pointed arched
arcade, and stairs with splat balustrades. On each side,
segmental pointed openings with round quatrefoil windows
above. Landing has single bay rib vault with round skylight
and trefoil window. Upper flight has a quatrefoil window and 2
lancets. Main hall on first floor has arch braced roof with
latticed tie beams, ceiled in. Billiard room at rear has
elaborate arch braced roof, raised 1990.


Listing NGR: SK5632040930

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE FOREST ROAD WEST
646-1/4/204 (North West side)
No.22
Nottingham Society for the Deaf

II

Formerly known as: Paton College FOREST ROAD WEST.
School, now offices and meeting rooms. Dated 1867, converted
1930, with mid and late C20 alterations. Red brick, with
ashlar and terracotta dressings and steep pitched slate roof
with 2 gable and single side wall stacks. Gothic Revival
style.
Plinth, string courses, impost bands and hood moulds. Windows
are mainly casements in pointed arched openings. 2 storeys
plus attics; 5:1 bays.
Central gabled porch with enriched pointed arch and hood
mould, shouldered double door, and crest in gable. On each
side, two plate traceried 2-light windows. Beyond, to right,
an altered doorway. Above, a large gable through eaves dormer
with coped gable and kneelers, with a traceried 3-light window
and above it, a traceried round window. On each side, two
2-light windows with central shafts, all on a sill band. To
right, a single light window with small casements above and
below it. Above again, to right, a small dormer, 2 lights,
with coped gable.
INTERIOR retains entrance hall with 3 bay pointed arched
arcade, and stairs with splat balustrades. On each side,
segmental pointed openings with round quatrefoil windows
above. Landing has single bay rib vault with round skylight
and trefoil window. Upper flight has a quatrefoil window and 2
lancets. Main hall on first floor has arch braced roof with
latticed tie beams, ceiled in. Billiard room at rear has
elaborate arch braced roof, raised 1990.


Listing NGR: SK5632040930

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.