This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9438 / 52°56'37"N
Longitude: -1.1787 / 1°10'43"W
OS Eastings: 455288
OS Northings: 338800
OS Grid: SK552388
Mapcode National: GBR LGS.VW
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.V8XL
Plus Code: 9C4WWRVC+GG
Entry Name: Priory Church of St Anthony
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457219
Location: Lenton and Wollaton, Nottingham, NG7
Electoral Ward/Division: Dunkirk and Lenton
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lenton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE GREGORY STREET, Lenton
646-1/7/237 (South side)
11/08/52 Priory Church of St Anthony
(Formerly Listed as:
GREGORY STREET, Lenton
Chapel of the Hospital of St Anthony at Lenton Priory, now
church. Chancel c1108, remainder 1883. Additions at west end
c1992. Coursed rubble and coursed squared stone, with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Plinth and
PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave with clerestory and aisles.
EXTERIOR: chancel has angle buttresses and 3-light Decorated
east window. South side has a pointed arched window to west,
C13, and a C19 3-light flat-headed window. Vestry, to north,
has flat roof and angle buttress. Porch to north with
shouldered door flanked by 2-light flat-headed windows.
Nave clerestory has 6 pointed arched clerestory windows each
side. West gable has angle buttresses and a square wooden bell
turret with lead covered pyramidal spire. Chamfered pointed
arched door covered by C20 glazed lobby, and above, a 3-light
pointed arched window.
South aisle has buttresses and 5 flat-headed windows, 2
lights. Similar windows at each end. Buttressed north aisle, 4
bays, has 3 flat-headed windows, 3 lights, and a similar
window to west.
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has C19 moulded arch without
responds, and boarded wagon roof. East end has C19 stained
glass window. North side has segmental pointed opening with
organ, and C19 aumbry and piscina. South side has C13 piscina
and C12 window with C19 stained glass.
Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers and 4-centred
arches with hood moulds. Queen post roof with traceried
spandrels. West end has pointed arched doorway and memorial
stained glass window, 1946. Aisles have lean-to roofs and
plain windows. North aisle has traceried wooden screen to
Fittings include Arms of Charles I on board, and C19 font,
pulpit, lectern, benches and stalls. Memorials include marble
and slate tablet, 1833.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 253; Church guide: Lenton: 1971-).
Listing NGR: SK5528838800
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings