History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9509 / 52°57'3"N

Longitude: -1.1453 / 1°8'43"W

OS Eastings: 457521

OS Northings: 339618

OS Grid: SK575396

Mapcode National: GBR LQQ.5B

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.C3V3

Entry Name: Former Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247635

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457253

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/08/2015


SK5739NE
646-1/21/274

NOTTINGHAM,
HIGH PAVEMENT (South side),
Former Unitarian Chapel


(Formerly listed as Lace Hall, HIGH PAVEMENT.

Previously listed as Unitarian Chapel, HIGH PAVEMENT)

12/07/72

GV II

Unitarian chapel, later lace industry museum and exhibition
centre. 1876. By Stuart Colman of Bristol. Converted 1989.
Rockfaced stone, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic
Revival style.
PLAN: symmetrical plan, with chancel, vestry, nave and
clerestory, transepts, aisles, and west tower with spire.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, string courses, coped gables.
West end gables have angle buttresses. Windows have pointed
arches; the main windows have hood moulds.
Chancel, single bay, has a 2-light window and small vestry to
south. Large traceried east window, 7-lights. Clerestory has
on each side 3 graduated triple lancets set in relieving
arches with polychrome brickwork heads. At the west end, a
single lancet. Transepts have a 4-light window in each gable.
Aisles have 3 plain double lancets, and at the west end, a
3-light window with a triple opening above.
West tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses topped with spire
pinnacles. Enriched west doorway, and above it a traceried
blind arcade. Upper stage has a tall single lancet on each
side, and to west, a patterned gable with a traceried round
window. Bell stage has on each side, 2 pointed arched double
openings. Above, an octagonal turret with 4 pointed arched
openings, topped with an octagonal spire.
INTERIOR: rendered, has a late C20 mezzanine floor, exhibition
rooms and showcases. Chancel has an arch with responds and a
panelled pointed arched roof. Stained glass east window 1904,
by Morris & Co., to designs by Burne-Jones and JH Dearle.
South side has an arch containing a stone screen.
Nave has similar roof, with wall shafts detached from the
piers. Arcades, 3 bays, have round piers and various arches
with hood moulds. Tall tower arch set between square
buttresses, with a stone screen containing a pointed arched
door under a gable. On either side, a narrow arch with a
doorway. Double west door with central pier.
Transepts have moulded arches with responds, and wagon roofs.
North transept north window 1890, by H Enfield, east window
late C19. South transept has a stained glass south window,
late C19, and to east an arch with a wooden organ gallery.
Aisles have king post roofs, and arches at each end. North
aisle has war memorial window, 1925, by Kempe & Co., stained
glass window, 1905, and Sunday School memorial window, 1906,
by H Holiday. South aisle has stained glass windows late C19
and c1931.
Fittings include a rectangular ashlar pulpit with blind arcade
and alabaster shafts.
Memorials include a round-arched blind arcaded panel with
names of ministers.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 224-225).


Listing NGR: SK5752139618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/08/2015


SK5739NE
646-1/21/274

NOTTINGHAM,
HIGH PAVEMENT (South side),
Former Unitarian Chapel


(Formerly listed as Lace Hall, HIGH PAVEMENT.

Previously listed as Unitarian Chapel, HIGH PAVEMENT)

12/07/72

GV II

Unitarian chapel, later lace industry museum and exhibition
centre. 1876. By Stuart Colman of Bristol. Converted 1989.
Rockfaced stone, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic
Revival style.
PLAN: symmetrical plan, with chancel, vestry, nave and
clerestory, transepts, aisles, and west tower with spire.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, string courses, coped gables.
West end gables have angle buttresses. Windows have pointed
arches; the main windows have hood moulds.
Chancel, single bay, has a 2-light window and small vestry to
south. Large traceried east window, 7-lights. Clerestory has
on each side 3 graduated triple lancets set in relieving
arches with polychrome brickwork heads. At the west end, a
single lancet. Transepts have a 4-light window in each gable.
Aisles have 3 plain double lancets, and at the west end, a
3-light window with a triple opening above.
West tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses topped with spire
pinnacles. Enriched west doorway, and above it a traceried
blind arcade. Upper stage has a tall single lancet on each
side, and to west, a patterned gable with a traceried round
window. Bell stage has on each side, 2 pointed arched double
openings. Above, an octagonal turret with 4 pointed arched
openings, topped with an octagonal spire.
INTERIOR: rendered, has a late C20 mezzanine floor, exhibition
rooms and showcases. Chancel has an arch with responds and a
panelled pointed arched roof. Stained glass east window 1904,
by Morris & Co., to designs by Burne-Jones and JH Dearle.
South side has an arch containing a stone screen.
Nave has similar roof, with wall shafts detached from the
piers. Arcades, 3 bays, have round piers and various arches
with hood moulds. Tall tower arch set between square
buttresses, with a stone screen containing a pointed arched
door under a gable. On either side, a narrow arch with a
doorway. Double west door with central pier.
Transepts have moulded arches with responds, and wagon roofs.
North transept north window 1890, by H Enfield, east window
late C19. South transept has a stained glass south window,
late C19, and to east an arch with a wooden organ gallery.
Aisles have king post roofs, and arches at each end. North
aisle has war memorial window, 1925, by Kempe & Co., stained
glass window, 1905, and Sunday School memorial window, 1906,
by H Holiday. South aisle has stained glass windows late C19
and c1931.
Fittings include a rectangular ashlar pulpit with blind arcade
and alabaster shafts.
Memorials include a round-arched blind arcaded panel with
names of ministers.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 224-225).


Listing NGR: SK5752139618

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.