This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.038 / 53°2'16"N
Longitude: -1.3138 / 1°18'49"W
OS Eastings: 446110
OS Northings: 349191
OS Grid: SK461491
Mapcode National: GBR 7F1.JNL
Mapcode Global: WHDG9.SWLV
Plus Code: 9C5W2MQP+6F
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429394
Location: Brinsley, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG16
Civil Parish: Brinsley
Built-Up Area: Brinsley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsley with Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 44 NE BRINSLEY CHURCH LANE
2/2 Church of St.James
Parish church. 1837. Chancel 1877. Plain and rockfaced ashlar.
Plain tile and slate gabled roofs. Partial plinth, crenellated
parapets and gable, coped east gable with cross, ashlar side wall
stack. windows are single lancets with iron lattice glazing.
Nave with 2 west towers. Chancel, vestry and south porch. Nave
west end has 3 single lancets and above, blank trefoil. Flanked
by single octagonal crenellated towers, each with 4 chamfered
openings. North tower has door in return angle. Nave, 4 bays,
has buttresses and 4 lancets on each side. Chancel, 2 bays, has
to north lean-to organ chamber with a lancet in return angle to
east. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses and 3 stepped
single lancets. South side has a buttress and 2 lancets.
Vestry, single storey, extended mid C20, has coped gable.
Windows are stone mullioned casements. Buttressed west side has
casement and shouldered door. North and east sides have each a
casement. Gabled south porch has pointed south doorway with
traceried overlight. Above, blank trefoil. To east, a casement.
Inner door has chamfered Tudor arched head. Aisleless nave has
strutted queen post roof, partly ceiled. North side has Tudor
arched doorway. Chancel has moulded and rebated arch with hood
mould and stops, and round imposts on corbels. Crested wrought
iron War Memorial screen, 1919. North side has chamfered organ
opening and to its right, chamfered aumbry with hood mould. East
end has elaborate C14 style War Memorial reredos, c.1945.
Principal rafter roof with arch braces. Fittings include small
ashlar front with octagonal bowl on traceried stem. Conical
wooden cover, 1924. Traceried octagonal wooden pulpit. Timber
eagle lectern, 1955. C19 traceried stalls, benches and desks.
Monuments include brass with Latin inscription, 1874. Moulded
marble and alabaster tablet, 1917.
Listing NGR: SK4611049191
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings