This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9315 / 52°55'53"N
Longitude: -1.2746 / 1°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 448856
OS Northings: 337362
OS Grid: SK488373
Mapcode National: GBR 7GG.8KN
Mapcode Global: WHDGX.DL81
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429334
Location: Stapleford, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG9
Civil Parish: Stapleford
Built-Up Area: Stapleford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stapleford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 43 NE BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD CHURCH STREET
1/13 Church of St.Helen
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored 1785 and by T. G.
Jackson 1878. Memorial chapel, 1923, by T. G. Jackson. Coursed
rubble, dressed stone and ashlar. Gabled and lean-to slate
roofs. Chamfered plinth, coped and crenellated parapets, coped
gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
chancel, vestries, memorial chapel, south porch. West tower,
C13, raised C14. 2 stages. 4 clasp buttresses, plinth, string
course, coved eaves, crenellated parapet. First stage has to
south a lancet. To west, restored doorway with hood mould.
Above, 4 early C14 double lancets with chamfered and rebated
reveals. Octagonal setback spire, C15, has weathercock. Nave
clerestory, 3 bays, early C16, has crenellated parapet, 1876. to
north, single large spout and to south, 2 similar spouts. South
side has 2 untraceried triple lancets with square headed reveals
and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, rebuilt 1878, has string
course and 4 buttresses. Plain gables. West end has early C14
lancet with intersecting tracery, restored, with hood mould.
North side has 3 small double lancets. South aisles, C13, 3
bays, has moulded plinth, and moulded parapet, 1878. Diagonal
buttress to west and single buttress to south. South side has to
right, 2 cusped double lancets with hood moulds and stops. West
end has restored early Cl4 triple lancet with intersecting
tracery and coved reveal. Chancel has coped east gable with
gabled kneelers and cross, 1878, and pair of diagonal buttresses.
East end has early C14 5 light lancet with intersecting tracery
and quatrefoil head. Vestries, rebuilt C19, have gables of
different heights, one weatherboarded. Single plain and diagonal
buttresses. North side has door with hood mould and to its
right, 3 shouldered lancets. East end has double lancet with
hood mould. Memorial chapel, 2 bays. C15 style. Incorporates
earlier work. Plain coped gable and parapet. East end has
foundation stone, 1923. Inscribed "A.M.D.G. The foundation
stone of this Memorial Chapel was laid with Masonic ceremonial by
the Duke of Portland K.G. on July 25th 1923. Crawford Hills,
M.A. Vicar, Joseph Richards, C. R. Vicars, Wardens. Sir T. G.
Jackson, Bart., R.A., Architect. J. Thompson & Sons of
Peterborough, Builders." Above, re-set C14 triple lancet with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 2
diagonal and single central buttresses. Off-centre moulded door
flanked by single triple lancets with Gothic segmental heads.
Above, re-set sundial inscribed "Vigilia Oraque 1679". South
porch, 1785, altered 1878. Moulded pointed south doorway with
hood mould and coped gable with empty niche and cross. Stone
benches and common rafter roof. Inner doorway C13, plain. Tower
arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with C20 glazed
traceried screen. Nave north and south arcades, late C13, 3 bays,
have octagonal piers with simply moulded bases and capitals.
Double chamfered and rebated arches. North side has hood
moulds. Roof 1878, principal rafter with hammer beams made from
earlier tie beams. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs,
1878. North aisle east end has partially blocked C13 arch.
North side has stained glass War Memorial window and brass by P &
Q, 1945. South aisle east end has moulded arch to Memorial
Chapel. West end has stained glass window by H. P. Thomas, 1982.
Chancel arch, early C14 style, 1878. North side has screened
recess with organ and to right, doorway and aumbry. East end
has panelled reredos, mid C20, and stained glass window by Mayer
& Co., 1877. South side has to east, C19. piscina and C13 style
gabled triple sedilia. To west, 2 openings with C15 style
traceried screen. Principal rafter roof, 1878, with strutted
collars. Memorial chapel has east end stained glass window,
1918. Very low pitched king post roof. Fittings include font
c.1300, re-sited 1976, tapered base and stem, irregular moulded
conical bowl. Unusual spun copper cover with turned knob, late
C17. Octagonal traceried ashlar pulpit, 1878. C19 brass eagle
lectern. Altar rail on ornate iron stands, late C19. Traceried
panelled communion table by T. G. Jackson, 1915. Traceried
stalls and desks and plain benches, 1877. Monuments include
incised slab to Robert Tevery and wife, 1571. Re-sited alabaster
monument, 1639, to Gervase Tevery and wife. Panelled alabaster
table with 2 life-size effigies. In front, kneeling life size
figures of 3 daughters and infant son. Above, aediculed tablet
with Latin inscription, flanked by angels and Corinthian columns.
Open segmental pediment with crest and skull finials. Aediculed
Renaissance Revival wall monument to Johannes Tevery, early C17.
Apron, Doric columns, pediment, Latin inscribed panel with Arms.
Scrolled alabaster tablet to Georg (sic) Jackson, 1684 and wife.
Pedimented alabaster and marble tablets 1788 and 1795. Similar
Classical tablet with obelisk, dove, skull and bones, 1795.
Larger Classical tablet with obelisk, urn and sphinxes to George
John Borlase Warren, 1802 by Bacon Jnr. Pedimented ashlar war
memorial, 1918. 2 C19 tablets. 4 tablets with Creed and Lord's
Listing NGR: SK4885637362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings