History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in South Darley, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1499 / 53°8'59"N

Longitude: -1.6012 / 1°36'4"W

OS Eastings: 426771

OS Northings: 361495

OS Grid: SK267614

Mapcode National: GBR 58N.J0R

Mapcode Global: WHCDN.C3S0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 October 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248243

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429820

Location: South Darley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: South Darley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: South Darley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Winster

Listing Text

SK 26 SE
668/10/151
26/10/72

WENSLEY
Church of St Mary

II

Anglican church. 1845, enlarged in 1880 and 1885. Designed by Joseph Mitchell, architect of Sheffield, extensions by his son, J.B. Mitchell-Withers, architect of Sheffield. Neo-Romanesque style. Ashlar gritstone and rock-faced coursed gritstone beneath a Welsh slated roof. PLAN: Simple linear plan, comprised of west tower, nave with vestry extension to north, and sanctuary to east with parish room below. Tower with entrance to west elevation. Narrow 3-stage structure with clasping buttresses to first stage. Semi-circular arched doorway, with 2 orders of attached shafts with cushion capitals and moulded arch with billet and beakhead ornament. Towards upper part of first stage, a panel of blind intersecting arcading. Clock face above. Second stage with triple lancets with semi-circular arched heads. Bell stage with wide semicircular arch, with 2-light window set within. Shallow pyramidal roof with stepped ashlar stonework to slopes. Nave gables with ashlar dog-tooth decoration to verges. 4 bays, rising from a shallow stepped plinth, and with clasping buttresses to each corner. North side with single semi-circular headed lancet to each bay, with flanking attached shafts with cushion capitals beneath hood moulds with grotesque head stops. Substantial cill band. Gabled vestry extends northwards at junction of nave and sanctuary extension, and has tall octagonal chimney and door and window openings with moulded surrounds. South side similarly detailed, with buttress at junction of nave and sanctuary. Change of ground level allows basement parish room with 2 bay sanctuary above at east end. East gable with stepped 3 light window, set within tall, wide semi-circular arch headed recess with moulded surround. INTERIOR: The interior has been subjected to several phases of change, and the most notable fixture is the stained glass in the east window, designed by Burne-Jones, and made by Morris and Co in 1891. They commemorate Joseph Taylor, a local benefactor.

Listing NGR: SK2677161495

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.