History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Darnley Chest Tomb About 3 Metres North of the Vestry of the Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Bidborough, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1668 / 51°10'0"N

Longitude: 0.2373 / 0°14'14"E

OS Eastings: 556520

OS Northings: 143213

OS Grid: TQ565432

Mapcode National: GBR MPC.SYQ

Mapcode Global: VHHQ6.2X9Y

Entry Name: Darnley Chest Tomb About 3 Metres North of the Vestry of the Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 430578

Location: Bidborough, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Bidborough

Built-Up Area: Southborough

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: St Peter with Christ Church and St Matthew Southborough and St Lawrence Bidborough

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Southborough

Listing Text

TQ 56 43 BIDBOROUGH HIGH STREET (east side)

11/8 Darnley chest tomb
about 3m north of the
vestry of the Church of
St Lawrence

GV II

Chest tomb. Circa 1803, by Sir Richard Westmacott (Pevsner, 2nd edn., 1976),
restored in 1956 (Skinner). Portland stone.

An elegant sarcophagus raised on stone blocks, the chest with shallow diagonal
reeding and a moulded lid. Scrolls decorate each end of the lid with, in the
centre of each scroll, a finely carved life-size putto head with wings carved
back over the chest and meeting tip to tip. Rectangular inscription panels on
the long sides of the sarcophagus, roundels at each end. The main inscription
commemorates Mary, Countess of Darnley, died 1803. The Dowager Countess of
Darnley lived at Great Bounds (demolished) in Bidborough parish from 1790
until her death. She paid for a west gallery in the church "for the use of
the children of the Sunday School", which survived until the addition of the
south aisle in 1876.

A very high quality churchyard monument.

Newman, John. West Kent and the Weald. Buildings of England series (1976
edn.).

Skinner, F.A., Bidborough, a Parish History (1986 edn.).


Listing NGR: TQ5652043213

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.