History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade I Listed Building in Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9468 / 52°56'48"N

Longitude: -1.0695 / 1°4'10"W

OS Eastings: 462620

OS Northings: 339233

OS Grid: SK626392

Mapcode National: GBR 9K6.6FG

Mapcode Global: WHFJ4.J6X6

Plus Code: 9C4WWWWJ+P5

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 1 December 1965

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249315

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431084

Location: Holme Pierrepont Hall, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Holme Pierrepont

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Holme Pierrepont and Adbolton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SK 63 NW

(north side)
Church of St. Edmund


Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1666 rebuilt by the Marquis of
Dorchester, restored 1878-81 by T. C. Hine, when the chancel was
rebuilt, further restorations 1912 and 1960, spire restored
c.1980. Ashlar. Slate roofs. Single stack to east end of north
nave. Parapets and coped gables with single ridge crosses to the
east nave and east chancel. Set on a plinth. Tower with spire,
nave, south aisle, south porch, south organ chamber and chancel.
Diagonal buttressed single stage embattled C14 tower with single
large corner finials, remains of 3 gargoyles and topped with a
C15 spire. Set on a moulded plinth. The west side has a single
ogee arched light and the south side a moulded arched doorway, 4
stair lights and a single larger rectangular light. The 4bell
chamber openings each have 2 arched and cusped lights under a
triangular arch. The buttressed north wall has 3 1666 round
arched windows each with 3 round arched lights and tracery. To
the left of that on the right is a blocked 4 centred arched
doorway with hood mould. To the left and projecting is the brick
and ashlar roof of a cellar. The north chancel has a single
similar window and moulded arched doorway to the left. The east
chancel has a single C19 arched 3 light window with some cusped
tracery and single transom, the window being blind under. Hood
mould and decorative label stops over. The east chapel with 2
pilaster buttresses each topped with single obelisk finials
surmounted by single orbs has a single similar 1666 window.
Under extends a band which continues to the south wall, the side
walls of the porch and the west wall of the aisle. The south
chapel and south aisle with a further 5 similar buttresses and
finials has 4 similar 1666 windows. To the left is the 1666
porch. Arched entrance with keystone and imposts. Either side
and standing proud are single Tuscan columns supporting the
cornice with further moulded keystone and parapet. Inner moulded
arched doorway. The west wall with single outer similar
buttresses and finials and single similar 1666 window. Interior.
3 bay C13 nave arcades with quatrefoil piers and responds, the
west respond with fillet. Double chamfered arches with broach
stops to the outer orders and hood moulds with human head label
stops. Tall double chamfered tower arch. Inner chamfer to arch
only. C19 moulded chancel arch supported on pilasters and
colonnettes with shaft rings, all with decorative capitals. The
colonnettes have single carved figures over. Hood mould and
decorative label stops. Low C19 alabaster screen. Aisle/organ
chamber C19 moulded pointed arch supported on single columns with
decorative capitals in turn supported on single flanking low
ashlar walls. Over each wall is a single similar smaller opening
with continuous hood mould over with inner angel and outer
decorative label stops. Chancel/organ chamber 2 bay arcade
supported on single pair of columns with decorative capitals.
The moulded arches over are decorated to front and soffit with
globe flowers. Hood mould and decorative label stops over. In
the north nave wall are the remains of 2 C14 cinquefoil arched
openings with mouchettes under a flat arch. Moulded arches over
the south aisle, north nave, chancel and organ chamber windows.
C19 decorative reredos. Decorative C19 alabaster and ashlar
pulpit further decorated with inset carving of the sermon of the
mount. C15 octagonal font, the base with single broach stops to
alternate sides and the bowl with panels decorated with blind
shields set into quatrefoils. C17 style carved chair. C17 chest
with decorative carved panels. The east chancel window, c.1913,
is reputedly by Powell and Sons. Organ chamber and 2 south aisle
windows with some glass, reputedly by Henry Giles. In the organ
chamber is an inset safe dated 1831. Memorials in the organ
chamber include to Sophia Manvers Peirrepont, 1823, reputedly by
Pierre Bazzanti, a tablet surmounted by a carving of a recumbant
woman with angel over. The east and south walls have single C19
Gothick memorials. The chancel south wall has a memorial to
Evelyn Pierrepont, 1773, the tablet is surmounted by a carved
kneeling figure and draped urn, probably by Flaxman. On the
north wall the memorial to Evelyn Henry Frederick Pierrepont,
1801, has over the tablet a large carved angel holding a book
with urn above. That to Mr. John Shering, 1800 is in the shape
of a decorative sarcophagus. The tablet to Reverend William
Saltren, 1811, is set into the wall and is surmounted by a carved
figure of a seated woman reading, by Flaxman, with later cusped
niche over. The south wall of the nave has a large and fine
alabaster memorial to Princess Gertrude Countesse of Kingston,
1649. The large inscription tablet is in a surround of shields,
the base however is decorated with skulls, cross bones and swags.
Either side are single Corinthian columns with decorated
entablature over. Over the columns are single large finials the
moulding over the centre of the entablature is topped with a
single crown. The west wall of the south aisle has a re-set brass
of a standing lady, c.1385. In the re-entrant angle of the south
and west walls is a C19 memorial Gothick niche. Contained within
a spandrel of the arcade is a fine memorial to the poet Oldham,
1683. The tablet has a surround of decoratively carved flowers
and leaves with angel's head on the crown and further carved head
on the apron. Adjacent the south wall is a damaged recumbent C13
effigy with head supported by angels and feet by a dog. There is
a further damaged C14 effigy of a Knight only the head and trunk
remaining. The large fine alabaster memorial to Sir Henry
Pierrepont, 1615, by John Smythson, has a recumbant figure in
armour upon a tomb, the base decorated with carvings of children
and shields. The background with tablet surrounded by fine and
decorative strapwork, flanked by single Ionic columns and with
semi-circular head over containing a shield and surmounted by a
further shield flanked by single small shields over the columns.
A further fine alabaster tomb to Sir Henry Pierrepont, 1499, has
a recumbant figure in armour with feet on a dog and head on a
visor, the sides of the tomb decorated with panels decorated with
cusping and plain shields. East side of the south aisle with
entrance to the family vault of the Dukes of Kingston and Earls

Listing NGR: SK6262039233

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.