This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1646 / 51°9'52"N
Longitude: -0.5441 / 0°32'38"W
OS Eastings: 501891
OS Northings: 141604
OS Grid: TQ018416
Mapcode National: GBR GFP.TGZ
Mapcode Global: VHFVV.JZ6L
Entry Name: Grafham Grange
Listing Date: 28 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291238
Location: Bramley, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Bramley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Grafham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/03/2019
House, now school. 1854 by Henry Woodyer for himself, servants quarters added by him before 1870, subsequently remodelled and extended by A.B Burnell in 1893 and 1906, billiard room added by Shepherd. Coursed Bargate stone with red brick dressings, tile-hanging to rear and some timber framed gables with rendered infill. Plain tiled roofs, hipped to right, with large gables on front and side elevations. Two storeys, partly over cellars. Complicated plan, originally H-shaped, but with subsequent extensions resulting in square plan around a central court.
Entrance front: attic dormers. Offset end stacks and front stack to left. Steeply pitched gable to left with small crowning, segmental pediment. Smaller, but similar gable to right with scrolled kneelers. Through-eaves dormer window between with wood framed, leaded fenestration under Jacobethan style scroll pediment. Two stilted-arch casement windows to first floor of left hand gable and one similar window on ground floor. Attic window to gable above. Six windows across the first floor, including one four-light cambered head window to first floor of gable to right. Panelled doors to ground floor left of centre in chamfered surround. Wooden turret under lead covered dome at centre of roof to rear with leaded glazing, moulded mullions and cornices and crowning iron weathervane.
Left hand return front: outer gabled bays, that to left with mullioned and transomed window on the first floor over balustraded angle bay window below. Right hand gable has oval window on centre scroll bracket support, rising through first and attic floors. Mullioned and transomed lights with some leaded glazing and carving across in line with base of gable. Two segmental-head windows to ground floor. Large dormer window, with centre segmental hood, over centre recessed range. Pilaster piers to six "cross" lights. Gabled dormer to right in angle between right hand gable and centre range. Three windows to ground floor centre.
INTERIOR: fine staircase, panelled ceilings of oak with some oak floors and stone fireplaces.
Listing NGR: TQ0189141604
Other nearby listed buildings