This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1661 / 51°9'57"N
Longitude: -0.5377 / 0°32'15"W
OS Eastings: 502339
OS Northings: 141774
OS Grid: TQ023417
Mapcode National: GBR GFP.WBM
Mapcode Global: VHFVV.MYLG
Plus Code: 9C3X5F86+CW
Entry Name: Grafham House
Listing Date: 6 September 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492848
Location: Bramley, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Bramley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Grafham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
06-SEP-04 Grafham House
Originally a vicarage, later house. Built in 1863 by Henry Woodyer at his own expense for the first encumbent of St Andrew's Church, the Rev T T Trenow. Minor alterations of c1900 and north wing and small south west ground floor extension added in the 1950s by the Diocesan Architect David Nye. Original part in Gothic style, an asymmetrical building of two storeys, the ground floor brick (part later painted) the first floor tile-hung with slate roof and tall ribbed brick chimneystacks. The windows are a mixture of mullioned and transomed casements and lancets in stone surrounds, some retaining leaded lights.
EXTERIOR: The south or entrance front has two gables hung with alternate courses of plain and curved tiles. First floor windows comprise two four-light pointed arched windows in sandstone surrounds, the left one mullioned and transomed. Original mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor. Elaborate datestone of 1863 with a shield bearing the cross of St Andrews and the initials C A S for Church of St Andrews and a gabled brick porch with side lancet windows and original plank door with elaborate iron hinges. The east elevation has three windows to the original part, including one in a projecting gable, two of which are original, but the first floor southern window was altered in the 1950s, probably by David Nye, to form a French window with sidelights over a projecting one storey flat-roofed brick extension. At the same time a two storey brick extension in stretcher bond with metal-framed casements was added to the north. The west elevation reains all its four windows intact, pointed arched windows of one, two or three lights and four-light mullioned and transomed window in a projecting gable. An ornamental rainwaterhead is dated 1863. The north elevation of the original building has a tall ribbed brick chimneystack, originally external but now incorporated in an Edwardian lean-to kitchen extension. The north west 1950s extension has further metal-framed casements and separate doorcase.
INTERIOR: The porch retains its wooden seats and original pointed arched half-glazed door and leads into a full-height staircase-hall with well staircase with turned balusters, chamfered newel post with multi-faceted finials and built-in bookcase to the landing. The ground floor south room retains an original coved cornice and six-panelled door but has an early C20 four-centred arched stone fireplace. The window arch is original with wooden window seats beyond which appear original but re-assembled. The central room retains a similar four-centred arched stone fireplace and original door blocked by a later bookcase. The rear room retains an original Woodyer wooden fireplace, wooden doors, wooden shutters and wooden windowseat. The service end of the house retains the service wooden winder staircase, scullery with original shelves and sink, pantry with shelves and kitchen with C19 built-in wooden dresser. The first floor south room retains an original 1863 wooden fireplace with brackets and the corridor has coved ceiling. Other rooms on this floor not inspected.
HISTORY: Built as the vicarage to St Andrew's Church at a cost of £1,500 at Henry Woodyer's own expense. Woodyer lived in Grafham Grange across the road and designed and partly paid for the adjoining St Andrew's Church as a memorial for his wife. Both he and his wife are buried in the churchyard. The house remained in use as a vicarage until the 1960s when it became a private house.
A substantially complete Gothic style country vicarage built by Henry Woodyer at his own expense and forming part of a group of buildings designed or modified by Henry Woodyer.
[ "Henry Woodyer Gentleman Architect" edited by John Elliott and John Pritchard. University of Reading. 2002.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings