History in Structure

Lychgate and Churchyard Walls to the Parish Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Brenchley, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1504 / 51°9'1"N

Longitude: 0.4001 / 0°24'0"E

OS Eastings: 567960

OS Northings: 141756

OS Grid: TQ679417

Mapcode National: GBR NR3.S05

Mapcode Global: VHJMX.WBDY

Plus Code: 9F325C22+52

Entry Name: Lychgate and Churchyard Walls to the Parish Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249610

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431809

ID on this website: 101249610

Location: All Saints' Church, Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Brenchley

Built-Up Area: Brenchley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Brenchley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Tagged with: Lychgate

Find accommodation in


(south side)
15/99 Lychgate and churchyard walls
to the parish Church of All

Lychgate and churchyard walls. Lychgate 1897, commemorating 60 years of Queen
Victoria's reign (plaque). Walls probably contemporary. Lychgate rock-faced
ragstone and timber with a wooden shingle roof; rock-faced ragstone walls
flank the lychgate, churchyard walls to the east brick.

Impressively large and elaborate 2-bay Gothic lychgate opposite the north
porch of the church, where the path is lined with clipped yew trees. Outward-
curving stone walls flank the gate and are brick on the east boundary wall of
the churchyard.

Coped walls to the lychgate support an openwork timber structure of trefoil-
headed arcading with decorated wallplates with brattished cornices. The roof,
with deep sprocketted eaves, is supported on an arch-braced roof truss with 2
tiers of cusped wind-bracing with cusped, moulded and pierced bargeboards to
both faces and to the overhanging eaves. A pair of low timber gates flank the
coffin rest with open tracery panels above the middle rails, long ornamental
strap hinges and poppy-head styles. A plaque on the coffin rest records that
the lychgate was erected by "parishioners and friends", William May, Vicar,
Percy Mainwaring, Chairman of the Committee. The stone walls have moulded
coping, the brick walls to the east largely concealed by ivy. A plaque on the
section of wall immediately east of the lychgate commemorates the "undying
fame of the gallant lads who fought the Battle of Britain over this corner of
England in August-September 1940".

Listing NGR: TQ6796041757

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.