This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6963 / 54°41'46"N
Longitude: -1.1826 / 1°10'57"W
OS Eastings: 452781
OS Northings: 533776
OS Grid: NZ527337
Mapcode National: GBR NG54.S9
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.T713
Plus Code: 9C6WMRW8+GX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 March 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432544
Location: Headland, Hartlepool, TS24
Civil Parish: Headland
Built-Up Area: Hartlepool
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Hilda
Church of England Diocese: Durham
HARTLEPOOL DURHAM STREET
8/63 Church of St. Mary
Wrongly shown on O.S. plan as Brougham Street. Roman Catholic Church, 1850,
by J.A. Hansom (Preston). Dressed limestone with quoins at angles; Welsh
slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings. Early English style.
Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Aisled, clearstoried nave, bowed
apsidal chancel, north and north-east vestries, south chapel, and west tower
from which spire was removed c. 1945. Crypt below chancel now used as
chapel. 4-stage tower has clasping buttresses, straight parapet, corbelled
out, and vice at north-east angle. Pointed west doorway of 3 moulded
orders, the middle order having nook shafts and the inner being
trefoil-headed. Figure of Virgin in trefoil-headed gabled niche in west
face of 2nd stage; lancets with nook shafts and hoodmoulds, to north and
south faces of 2nd stage and in pairs to each face of top stage. Each face
of 3rd stage has a cinquefoil. 6-bay nave has paired, chamfered, trefoil
headed clearstorey windows. Single lancets, with hoodmoulds and carved
stops to aisles and apse. Church interior is painted. Chamfered arcade
arches on alternate round and octagonal piers. Coupled-rafter roof with 2
collar beams, wall posts, arched braces and curved angle struts to lower
beam. West gallery of 1886. Stained glass to aisle and apse windows by
Francis Barnett (York) 1851. Painted stone sedilia with cinquefoil head.
Heavily carved and ornamented marble altar with predella, tabernacle and
arcaded antependium. Alabaster communion rails and brass gates.
Tessellated pavement to centre aisle.
Listing NGR: NZ5278233777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings