History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Borough Buildings and Borough Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Headland, Hartlepool

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6962 / 54°41'46"N

Longitude: -1.1834 / 1°11'0"W

OS Eastings: 452727

OS Northings: 533770

OS Grid: NZ527337

Mapcode National: GBR NG54.LB

Mapcode Global: WHD6F.S7N4

Entry Name: Borough Buildings and Borough Hall

Listing Date: 17 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432561

Location: Headland, Hartlepool, TS24

County: Hartlepool

Civil Parish: Headland

Built-Up Area: Hartlepool

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hartlepool

Listing Text

HARTLEPOOL MIDDLEGATE
NZ 5233
(north side)
Headland.
8/81 Borough
Buildings and
Borough Hall

- II

Municipal Buildings and former market hall, the latter now a dance hall;
1865, by C.J. Adams. Brick with stone and white brick dressings; hipped
Welsh slate roofs. Italianate. 2 storeys, eleven bays, with 3-stage
central tower having sprocketed pyramidal roof, square lantern, spire and
metal compass/weather-vane finial. Central wide, round-headed opening in 2
planes, the inner one springing from corbels, now holding mid C20 timber
panelling and doors. 2 round-headed sashed lancets to middle stage of
tower, with plaque in spandrel, bearing civic arms and names of civic
leaders. 2 tall blocked lancets to upper stage above remains of balcony on
corbels. Eaves cornice on stepped brackets. Other bays have round-headed
windows, those to ground floor having timber mullions, transoms and
radiating glazing bars. Paired first-floor windows separated by round
shafts with ornate capitals. Relieving arches above have incised geometric
patterns in the tympana. Double 4-panelled doors to 9th bay under late C19
cast iron balcony. Continuous moulded sills, impost bands and hoodmoulds.
Contemporary single-storey 3-bay extension to right and former market hall
(converted to dance hall 1926) adjoining rear. Moulded and coved cornices
and panelled ceilings to first-floor rooms of Municipal Buildings; and 6
original lock-up cells in rear (west) wing. Hall has Art Deco interior :
quasi Ionic columns supporting continuous gallery on 3 sides, having
panelled parapet ornamented with classical motifs. Colonnade above gallery
has Egyptian-bell capitals. Guilloche moulding to flat proscenium arch.


Listing NGR: NZ5273233772

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.