This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4328 / 51°25'58"N
Longitude: -0.104 / 0°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 531894
OS Northings: 172125
OS Grid: TQ318721
Mapcode National: GBR GS.GGS
Mapcode Global: VHGRD.47WZ
Entry Name: Old Library Building
Listing Date: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432908
Location: Lambeth, London, SE27
Electoral Ward/Division: Knight's Hill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Norwood St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Nos 14-6 (Old Library Building)
Adult education institute, formerly library. Designed in 1887 by R.J Smith and opened in 1888. Flemish style. Red brick in Flemish bond with Ham Hill stone dressings and some bands of roughcast. Mansard tiled roof and brick and stone chimneystacks.
Two storeys and attics, ten windows. Right hand portion is a symmetrical composition with three hipped dormers with casements. Central two storey loggia with elaborate swansneck pediment above with date in carved brick 1887. First floor has seven stone terms with busts of Homer, Sir Walter Scott, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Dickens and Socrates and inscription in panels below reading "Free Public Library". Ground floor has four partly fluted and partly plain columns with Venetian-type capitals. Wings have two casements set in arches on first floors with terracotta cherubs above and aprons below. Ground floor has one four-light mullioned and transomed arched window. Plinth. Left-hand side is in matching style. One hipped dormer with casement, three casements to first floor, five-light window to ground floor and left side doorcase. This is one of the earliest free public libraries in central London.
Listing NGR: TQ3189472125
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings