This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.432 / 51°25'55"N
Longitude: -0.103 / 0°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 531968
OS Northings: 172034
OS Grid: TQ319720
Mapcode National: GBR GS.GQR
Mapcode Global: VHGRD.58FL
Plus Code: 9C3XCVJW+QR
Entry Name: Old Fire Station
Listing Date: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432909
Location: Knight's Hill, Lambeth, London, SE27
Electoral Ward/Division: Knight's Hill
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Norwood St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3172 NORWOOD HIGH STREET
963-/31/10011 No 2A (Old Fire
Theatre centre, formerly fire station. Built in 1881 and designed by the Metropolitan
Board of Works Architect's Department, probably by Robert Pearsall in Gothic style.
Red brick in Flemish bond and tiled roof. 3 storeys and attics 8 windows. 4 tall ribbed
brick chimneystacks. Attic storey has 4 gables with stone kneelers with 2 paired 8 pane
sashes to ends and 2 single 8 pane sashes to centre. Stone band below with corbels.
2nd floor has 8 8-pane sashes. 1st floor has 8 similar sashes with arched lintels
interrupting moulded terracotta band. Ground floor has triple 8-pane windows on each
side under drip mould. Centre has projecting porch with gable surmounted by finial in
centre and finials at sides and 2 wide doors below with 4 colonnettes inserted in sides.
The principal feature of the building is a tall octagonal watch tower at the right side of
the building with corbelling and lancet windows. Interior has wooden staircase with
stick balusters. In 1913 this fire station housed a station officer, nine firemen, two
coachmen, 2 pairs of horses, one horsed fire engine, one horsed escape, one manual
escape and one hose cart. Shortly afterwards it became redundant, being replaced by
the station further north in Norwood Road.
Listing NGR: TQ3196872034
Other nearby listed buildings