History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gore Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Otham, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2504 / 51°15'1"N

Longitude: 0.5644 / 0°33'51"E

OS Eastings: 579062

OS Northings: 153261

OS Grid: TQ790532

Mapcode National: GBR PRG.KJ7

Mapcode Global: VHJMF.QTRT

Plus Code: 9F327H27+5Q

Entry Name: Gore Court

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433161

Location: Otham, Maidstone, Kent, ME15

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Otham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Bearsted

Description

CHURCH ROAD
TQ 75 SE OTHAM
(East Side)
3/216 Gore Court
25.7.52
II*
House, formerly school, now house. Late C15 or early C16, with late C16,
(possibly C17) and late C18 alterations and additions. Late C14 or early
C15 cellar, probably associated with a preceding building. Timber framed,
rendered, with plain tile roof. Open hall, with 2 integral cross-wings
projecting slightly to rear. Hall of 2 equal-length timber-framed bays,
un-subdivided on ground floor, possibly jettied to front (west) and possibly
with stair turret to rear of hall. Right (south) cross-wing formerly jettied
to front, extending slightly further to rear than north wing and comprising
one relatively small room to front and a larger room to rear with passage
between the 2 rooms leading south from the hall to former gable end of
house. 2-storey structure of 2 or possibly 3 timber-framed bays set east-
west about 6 metres-south of former gable end of house, extending about
2 metres further west, and possibly a kitchen. Structure jettied to its
north side only (towards house). Gap between house and "kitchen" infilled
in late C16 or early C17, jetty of south cross-wing underbuilt, right cross-
wing provided with 2½ storey rectangular bay to front (dated T.H. 1577) and
gap between cross-wings to rear of hall infilled with 2-storey section
(possibly because hall not floored). Most of windows and first floor ceilings
altered in late 1780s or in 1790s, and further bay added to south side of
"kitchen". Later service wing running east from east gable end of "kitchen";
2 storeys and cellars, on chamfered rendered plinth. 2½-storey rectangular
late C16 bay to front of north cross-wing, jettied to first floor and gable,
with plaster moulding and coving under jetties, and gable raised above eaves
of wing with pierced and carved bargeboards and moulded pendant. 2-storey
rectangular bay to north timber-framed bay of hall, possibly with C15 or C16
origins, with restored close-studded gable above eaves of hall. Shallow
2-storey late C16 or later rectangular bay to front of south cross-wing, with
eaves gable over. Narrow 2-storey rectangular bay with similar gable, in
angle between "infill" section and front gable end of "kitchen". Pair of
eaves gables with plain bargeboards pendants and finials, to "kitchen" and
south end bay. Eaves of north cross-wing higher than hall eaves (possibly
raised in 1577), and roof hipped to front. South cross-wing with similar
eaves-line to hall and roof hipped to front, hip returning to right (south)
along "infill" section. West gable end of "kitchen" projects slightly but
with same eaves line, and with roof hipped to front; hip returns to south
along added south end bay, which is gabled to south and has lower ridge.
Central rear stack to hall with 2 corbelled and filleted brick flues joined
across top and set on moulded plinth. 4 further stacks; to south side of each
room of south cross-wing, to later rear service wing, and to south side of
"kitchen". Irregular fenestration of 11 windows all but two late C18. Four
tripartite sashes; one to jettied first-floor "bay" of north wing, one to
projecting "bay" of south wing, one to "infill" section and one to "kitchen".
Four narrow 2-storey Gothick lights; one pair set between panelled pilasters,
to projecting "bay" to north timber-framed bay of hall, and two widely-
spaced to south timber-framed bay of hall. One 10-light mullioned and
transomed window to porch, one cross-window to projection of south end of
"infill" section, and one 12-pane sash to south end bay. 2-storey jettied,
close-studded porch to south end of hall, rebuilt in late C19 or early C20.
Panelled door. Rear elevation: four late C16 or early C17 jettied gables,
one to rear of each cross-wing and two to rear of hall, the latter two on
scrolled brackets. Canted weatherboarded bay with tall Gothick light under
gable of south wing. Rear service wing with bell cupola. Interior: hall
without inserted floor but with rendered walls. 3 service doors to centre
of south end wall, all hollow-chamfered, 4-centred arched with hollow
spandrels. Similar front and rear doorways. Walls of central service
passage within south wing. Broad joists to front service room. Hollow-
chamfered cross-beam and broad joists to ground floor of north wing, with
evidence for front and rear walls. Exposed framing and jetty to "kitchen".
Blocked late C16 three-light ogee-moulded mullioned frieze windows, and
part of similar side-lights of rectangular bay window to front of north
wing. Exposed late C16 or early C17 framing with evidence for deep central
window with frieze windows, to front of south wing and "infill" section,
and joists of same period to "infill". Moulded rectangular late C16 or
early C17 doorway beyond rear doorway of hall, probably within concealed
outer wall of "infill" behind hall. 4 late C16 four-centred arched moulded
stone fireplaces with hollow spandrels; one to rear of hall with wooden
overmantel, one to rear service room,one, possibly moved, to first floor
over front service room, and one to first floor of "kitchen". Rebated
central crown-post to hall on hollow-chamfered tie-beam with short solid-
spandrel braces. Late C18 geometrical staircase to rear of "infill" section.
Most of first floor plastered. At least 4 first-floor rooms with late C18
or early C19 plaster ceilings domed in a variety of shapes. Broad flight of
stone steps to cellar under north wing, with hollow-chamfered, broach-
stopped jamb of stone doorway to bottom. Base of a tight, narrow stone
newel staircase leading out of north-east corner of cellar, with bevelled
pointed-arched stone doorway and tooled stone jambs. House described by
Hasted in 1798 as "modernized". A building of unusual plan and dimensions
for this area .


Listing NGR: TQ7906253261

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.