This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2551 / 51°15'18"N
Longitude: 0.5626 / 0°33'45"E
OS Eastings: 578913
OS Northings: 153782
OS Grid: TQ789537
Mapcode National: GBR PRG.C1D
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.PQR5
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433240
Location: Otham, Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Civil Parish: Otham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 75 SE OTHAM
3/221 The Rectory
Rectory, now house. C15, with C16, C17 and C18 alterations. Timber framed,
rendered, with plain tile roof. Wealden, with 2 unequal-length hall bays
and storeyed end bays. Internal jetty, possibly a blocked undershot cross-
passage, to left end of longer right end bay. Probably converted to lobby
entry plan in C17. C17 rear return wing to left of 2 timber-framed bays,
that adjoining main range broader, (spanning 2 bays of main range), the
other dated 1664. C18 or earlier single-bay rear return wing to right. 2
storeys and attic, on rendered plinth. Right and left end bays jettied to
front. Inserted jetty to hall with higher bressumer. Moulded wooden eaves
cornice. Steeply-pitched hipped roof with gablets. Slender projecting
gable-end stacks, that to left C18. Rendered multiple brick ridge stack
to shorter left hall bay. Irregular fenestration of 6 sashes in open boxes;
two 12-pane to left end bay, one 8-pane under stack, two 12-pane to right
hall bay and one 12-pane to right end bay. Similar fenestration to ground
floor. Panelled door under stack, with Doric pilasters, pulvinated frieze
and dentilled cornice. Rendered rear return wing to left; roof to first
bay hipped to rear, narrower second bay gabled, with lower ridge. Lean-to,
also in 2 sections, to long right side of wing. Rear lean-to to right
hall bay. Single-storey outshot with stack, to gable end of left wing.
Interior: framing exposed in some places. Central octagonal crown-post
with square moulded capital and cushion base, on heavily-cambered hollow-
chamfered tie-beam morticed for large arch-braces meeting towards centre.
Plain end-of-hall crown-posts. Rebated crown-post on cambered chamfered
axial tie-beam with solid-spandrel arch-braces, to right end bay. Bases
of 2 shaped brackets, probably for pre-1664 oriel window, to rear wall of
left end bay of main range. Chamfered C17 brick fireplace to first floor
right end room. Chamfered cross-beam to rear bay of left wing, carved
with legend: "This house was built by John Davis Rector of Otham 1664 A.D.".
C18 staircase with moulded balusters and shaped cheeks to right section of
broader bay of left wing, behind hall stack. Fielded panelling to ground
floor of left end bay of main range, and shouldered fireplace surround with
pulvinated frieze. C18 panelled doors. Pump in rear lean-to.
Listing NGR: TQ7890953806
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings