This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6886 / 54°41'18"N
Longitude: -1.1928 / 1°11'33"W
OS Eastings: 452135
OS Northings: 532916
OS Grid: NZ521329
Mapcode National: GBR NG37.K1
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.ND7Z
Entry Name: Beacon Tower at East End of North Pier of West Harbour
Listing Date: 8 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433301
Location: Hartlepool, TS24
Electoral Ward/Division: Headland and Harbour
Built-Up Area: Hartlepool
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stranton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 53 SW(NZ 521 329)
(east side, off)
4/155 Beacon tower at east end
of North Pier of West
Beacon tower, c.1850 probably by Thames Casebourne (engineer) for Hartlepool
West Harbour and Dock Company. Cast iron column and lantern; sandstone ashlar plinth.
Fluted Doric column with square abacus, supports octagonal pedestal-shaped lantern
with rectangular-shaped opening in each face of die, now mostly block with copper
sheets. Door at base of north-west face of column. 5-stepped octagonal plinth.
Originally used as navigation light at entrance to West Harbour; now disused and
Listing NGR: NZ5213532916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings