This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8148 / 50°48'53"N
Longitude: -0.371 / 0°22'15"W
OS Eastings: 514856
OS Northings: 102960
OS Grid: TQ148029
Mapcode National: GBR HMH.WHT
Mapcode Global: FRA B63Y.990
Plus Code: 9C2XRJ7H+WH
Entry Name: The Worthing Tabernacle
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433337
Location: Central, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Worthing Holy Trinity with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Tagged with: Church building
The following building shall be added to the list:
TQ 1402 NE 3/272 No 64
The Worthing Tabernacle
Nonconformist church and church hall. Thought to have been built in 1897 by
Lund but rain water heads are dated 1908. Front of snecked rubble with Bath
stone dressings. Other elevations are of stock brick with red brick dressings.
Slate roof. West front has central gable with cross-shaped saddlestone flanked
by octagonal pinnacles dying into 1st floor square buttresses with inset columns
and buttresses to ground floor. Central rose window with 6 trefoliated headed
lancets and quatrefoil band below. Stone band between floors. Ground floor
has central triple round-headed window flanked by single round-headed windows,
all connected by hood moulding. Wings have double mullioned window to 1st floor
and gabled entrances with round headed arches with engaged granite columns.
8 light fanlight with Art Nouveau glazing and double plank doors with large
decorative hinges. Side elevations are of stock brick in Flemish bond with
red brick dessings. 2 gables with 3 lancets each to 1st floor connected by
hood moulding and casements to ground floor with dogtooth moulded stone voussoirs
above. Church hall at rear is in similar materials with 2 gables. Interior
has 2 bays supported on tall iron plumed capitals. Round-headed chancel arch
with granite column, pendants. Large curved wooden pulpit supported on 2 twisted
columns with 2 curved staircases with elaborate iron railings. East rose window
with stained glass floral panes. Side walls have triple lancet windows interrupted
by the balcony with kingfisher roundels at the top. West window has floral
Curved wooden balcony with diagonally placed boarding quatrefoil carving and
brattishing. Original iron lamp brackets attached. Vertical dado-panelling.
Walls of gallery have original iron lamp brackets. Original curved wooden pews.
Unusual roof structure boarded with modified curved braces held together with
iron tie rods. Rear vestibule has fireplace with Art Nouveau pomegranite motif
and staircase to Minister's office has elaborate cast iron balusters and scrolled
tread ends. Front vestibule has elaborate cast iron balusters to staircase
and double doors with elaborate brass handles and art nouveau tracery.
Listing NGR: TQ1485602960
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings