History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nettlestead, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1112 / 52°6'40"N

Longitude: 1.0451 / 1°2'42"E

OS Eastings: 608606

OS Northings: 250248

OS Grid: TM086502

Mapcode National: GBR TLZ.M17

Mapcode Global: VHLBK.26BD

Entry Name: High Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250944

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433496

Location: Nettlestead, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Nettlestead

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nettlestead

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

NETTLE STEAD
TM 05 SE
2/125 High Hall
9.12.55
- II*
House, probably c.1620-30 for William Foorth. Fragmentary C16 core; and
alterations of c.1930 by H. Munroe Cautley, A.R.I.B.A. The main block is
unusual for C17 in being of double-pile form and 3 storeys with attics. Red
brick in English bond. 2-span plaintiled roof, some ends being hipped with
gablets. C17 chimneys of red brick with triple octagonal shafts, much
restored C20. A number of original windows have ovolo-moulded mullions and
transomes of brick, most also have moulded pediments; fragments of the
original plasterwork remain, this being used at all the openings in imitation
of dressed limestone. Fine original entrance porch of brick, now 2 storeys
high; the 3rd storey has been removed. Tuscan pilasters in plaster frame the
round-headed doorway, which was probably open until insertion of C20 boarded
and battened aoor. The inner doorway has an original door, framed with sunk
panels, with good ironmongery. The main parlour has complete C17 wainscotting,
and an open fireplace of plaster simulating sconework, with carved oak
pilasters and arcaaing above. Moulded plasterwork to ceiling beams and
cornice. The "new" hall and several other rooms have good open fireplaces; 2
chambers have moulded plasterwork. The additional block behind is primarily a
staircase tower, with a second parlour. The staircase has 7 flights, with
channelled newels (formerly with ball finials) and widely-spaced turned
balusters. The C16 timber-framed and plastered range, to which the main
building was attached, is underbuilt in C17 brick; further major alterations
to this range, in false half-timbering, c.1930. For further details, East
Anglian Miscellany, 1922, No.6257. Suffolk Houses: Sandon: 1977.


Listing NGR: TM0860650248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.