History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dairy and bakehouse range immediately south of Tudor Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Somersham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0994 / 52°5'57"N

Longitude: 1.0392 / 1°2'21"E

OS Eastings: 608258

OS Northings: 248915

OS Grid: TM082489

Mapcode National: GBR TM4.CKB

Mapcode Global: VHKF2.YHRH

Entry Name: Dairy and bakehouse range immediately south of Tudor Grange

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433505

Location: Nettlestead, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Nettlestead

Built-Up Area: Somersham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nettlestead

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Description

TM 04 NE
6/134

NETTLESTEAD
SOMERSHAM
MAIN ROAD
Dairy and bakehouse range immediately south of Tudor Grange

9.12.55

II
Dairy and bakehouse range, built c.1600 adjacent to the service wing of Tudor Grange (then known as Watering Farmhouse). Used in part as a farm office at date of survey.

Two storeys. Timber-framed; infilled along the front with herringbone bricknogging, probably introduced in late C19/early C20; the rear has plastered wattle-and-daub infill panels. The close-studding has unusual paired serpentine braces at each corner. The ground storey walling was mostly rebuilt C19 in red brick. Plain tiled roof, hipped at the left-hand (bakehouse) end.

In the bakehouse is a chimney of red brick, intruded in C17/C18. The upper floor retains all ten original diamond-mullioned windows, most being of four lights. One has an internal boarded sliding shutter, and most have battened louvres applied externally. Various C19 casements at ground storey. A good original moulded plank entrance door faces the service wing of the house. The two bay bakehouse at the left-hand end has a lightly smoke-blackened roof and must formerly have been unfloored. The two bay centre cell was probably a dairy with granary above (the upper room still has grain-bins). Open trusses have strongly-cambered tie-beams with cranked arch-braces. Good wind-braced clasped-purlin roof. The upper part of the building is almost totally unaltered and is an excellent example of its type.

Listing NGR: TM0825848915

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.