This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0994 / 52°5'57"N
Longitude: 1.0394 / 1°2'21"E
OS Eastings: 608269
OS Northings: 248923
OS Grid: TM082489
Mapcode National: GBR TM4.CLD
Mapcode Global: VHKF2.YHTF
Plus Code: 9F4332XQ+QP
Entry Name: Tudor Grange
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433503
Location: Nettlestead, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Nettlestead
Built-Up Area: Somersham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Nettlestead
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 04 NE
Farmhouse, mid C16 with alterations of early C17. A three-cell H-plan house with cross-passage entrance. Two storeys and attics. Mainly timber-framed and plastered, partly of red brick. The left-hand cross-wing has high-quality tension-braced close studwork exposed externally; both cross-wings are jettied at first and attic floor levels. In early C17 the hall range was rebuilt higher; this and the right hand cross-wing have good C17 brickwork up to a moulded string course at first floor level. Plain tiled roofs with lobed C19 bargeboards. Large external C16/C17 chimneys of red brick against both cross-wings. Mainly C19 mullioned and transomed windows.
The hall has a C17 fourteen-light mullioned and transomed window of plastered brick; two others, of four lights, are in the parlour. The left-hand cross-wing has several C17 ovolo-moulded mullioned wooden windows, one large example at the rear having a transome. Early C17 single-storey brick entrance porch with dentilled eaves course and plain tiled roof; the elliptical-headed doorway is hood-moulded. The inner cross-passage doorway has a moulded wooden frame and original framed and battened door. A small C16 wing to rear right, of uncertain purpose, has been amalgamated with the C17 work and contains a C17 staircase, with octagonal newels with ball finials and turned balusters. The parlour has a fine C17 oak overmantel with three sunk and enriched arcaded panels between fluted pilasters; the contemporary wainscotting is much restored. In the chamber above is a near-identical overmantel, but in pine. A nether parlour in the left-hand wing has a good C18 corner cupboard.
When the C16 hall was demolished in early C17, its components (some moulded), were used to construct a two bay stable and hay-loft 20 metres to the west and attached to a contemporary barn. The house was known as Watering Farmhouse until mid C20. It was in the occupation of the Wingfield family c.1630, who probably carried out the alterations of that date.
Listing NGR: TM0826948923
Other nearby listed buildings