History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 18 Monuments on South Side of South Aisle and Transept of Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Guiseley, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.875 / 53°52'30"N

Longitude: -1.7062 / 1°42'22"W

OS Eastings: 419414

OS Northings: 442130

OS Grid: SE194421

Mapcode National: GBR JRJM.DN

Mapcode Global: WHC8X.RVQQ

Plus Code: 9C5WV7GV+2G

Entry Name: Group of 18 Monuments on South Side of South Aisle and Transept of Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433653

Location: Guiseley and Rawdon, Leeds, LS20

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Guiseley and Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Guiseley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in


SE 14 SE
LS 20 (south side),
10A/45 Group of 18 monuments
- on south side of south
aisle and transept of
Church of St. Oswald

Group of 17 monuments and one medieval stone coffin, being all those east of
the porch and on the south side of the aisle and transept, and on the north
side of the path, except 4 of C19 or C20 date (2 at each end of this plot),
which are not included in the item. The group includes six tomb chests as

(a) Mary Lambert (d.1718): fully lettered, including 2 verses, one in
(b) Elizabeth Dinsdale ld.1791)1 panelled sides.
(c) John Marshall (d.1786): fielded panel sides, shouldered-panel lid with
winged heads of angels in spandrels.
(d) Mrs. Rachel Price (d.1813): housekeeper to Joshua Crompton Esquire of
Esholt Hall for 27 years.
(e) Four children of Thomas Strether (d.1729 et seq.): sides of large
chiselled blocks, with dripmould, fully lettered lid with small angel
heads in corners.
(f) Richard Clayton (d.1801): fluted pilasters to side panels, which have
roundels with radial patterns; lid similar to that of (c) above
eleven slabs as follows:-

(g) Mary Marshall (d.1711): set vertically against transept wall; cursive
lettering, partly restored.
(h) (identity illegible) dated 1687: immediately west of (c) above;
primitive capitals, incised heart-pattern.
(i) Jeremiah Marshall (d.1702): between (b) and (c) above; large cursive
(j) Richard Gibson (d.1706): worn; simple incised margin.
(k) Mary Hartley (d.1717) )
(1) Mary Marshall (d.1709) ) group of 3, side by side, all finely
(m) Tobias Marshall (d.1706) ) lettered.
(n) Elizabeth Hainworth (1707): arched surround, crossed bones on
primitive imposts to arch, winged angel heads in spandrels.
(o) Ann Marshall (d.1714): raised decorated initial "H" in sunk panel,
foliated band at head
(p) Ann Marshall (d.1708): simple incised margin.
(q) Jeremiah Coupe (1706): good lettering, incised margin with scrolled
and a medieval stone coffin without a lid, hewn from single block, and of
tapering shape shouldered inside (presumably ex situ).

Listing NGR: SE1941442130

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.