History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 6 Monuments in Corner of Paths Approximately 10 Metres South East of Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Guiseley, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.875 / 53°52'29"N

Longitude: -1.7059 / 1°42'21"W

OS Eastings: 419431

OS Northings: 442127

OS Grid: SE194421

Mapcode National: GBR JRJM.GN

Mapcode Global: WHC8X.RVVQ

Plus Code: 9C5WV7FV+XJ

Entry Name: Group of 6 Monuments in Corner of Paths Approximately 10 Metres South East of Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433654

Location: Guiseley and Rawdon, Leeds, LS20

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Guiseley and Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Guiseley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in


SE 14 SE
LS 20 (south side),
10A/46 Group of 6
- monuments in corner
of paths approx.
10 metres south-east
of Church of St. Oswald

Group of six monuments, comprising two tomb chests dated 1720 and 1715, one
headstone dated 1718, and three slabs dated 1680, 1740 and 1717. All
sandstone. Both tomb chests have sides of large rectangular blocks, finely-
lettered lids with the initial letters "H" and the dates in raised decorated
lettering set in sunk panels, that to Richard Driver (d.1720) with a moulded
edge, and that to Joseph Driver (d.1715) with border of 2 incised lines
scrolled outwards at the corners. Headstone to David Rhodes (d. 1718), very
close to west end of the latter tomb chest, is round-arched and shouldered,
and has a moulded surround with a roundel at the head enclosing a flower, and
elegant lettering. To the north and slightly east of these: memorial slab to
William Baildon (d.1680), with incised lettering all in capitals, a large
sunk shield at the foot, displaying 3 fleur de lys and flanked by raised
decorated initials "W" "B" in sunk panels, and a broad border of consecutive
scrolls; immediately next to the north side of this, slab to Anthony Smith
(d.1740), with raised date in sunk panel, border of 2 incised lines scrolled
outwards at the corners; and approx. 3 metres south-east of these, slab to
John Pollard (d.1717), similar in style to the lids of the two tomb chests
described above.

Listing NGR: SE1943142127

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.