This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3538 / 51°21'13"N
Longitude: -1.9995 / 1°59'58"W
OS Eastings: 400133
OS Northings: 161638
OS Grid: SU001616
Mapcode National: GBR 2V0.593
Mapcode Global: VHB4G.97BH
Plus Code: 9C3W9232+G6
Entry Name: Northgate House (Formerly Judge's Lodging Now the Municipal Offices)
Listing Date: 9 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434449
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Devizes
Built-Up Area: Devizes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Devizes St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1042 N0RTHGATE STREET
(South West Side)
(Formerly Judge' 5 Lodging
now the Municipal Offices)
SU 0061 2/139 9.4.54.
Mid Georgian 3 storeys. Brick on stone plinth. Stone strings at lst and
2nd floor levels and at lst floor cill level. Moulded stone cornice. Brick
parapet with moulded stone coping. Hipped slate roof. 5 windows to upper
floors and 4 on ground floor in main block, all with moulded stone arohitraves,
and all with glazing bars intact. 6-panel central door, with arched radiating
and wreathed fanlight, under stone Ionic porch of 2 columns, wall pilasters
and entablature with curved frieze, bracketed cornice and pediment, on stone
landing approached by 3 stone steps.
The main block has additional right hand part with half octagon bay facing
road, and full height, all of same general design, with 3 windows to each
floor. The garden front repeats the street elevation. Double curved stable
walls to left hand of red brick on stone plinth, with stone coping, and square
stone piers with moulded caps and bases.
With conversion to Municipal Offices the interior has been altered but retains
some very good late C18 fireplaces.
St Mary's Congregational Church, Nos 19 and 20, Sandcliffe and Northgate House
form a group.
Listing NGR: SU0018061597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings