History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quadrangle, about 6 metres south of Montacute House, and walls enclosing car park to south

A Grade II Listed Building in Montacute, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9513 / 50°57'4"N

Longitude: -2.7141 / 2°42'50"W

OS Eastings: 349934

OS Northings: 117121

OS Grid: ST499171

Mapcode National: GBR MK.NB6G

Mapcode Global: FRA 566L.GFY

Plus Code: 9C2VX72P+G9

Entry Name: Quadrangle, about 6 metres south of Montacute House, and walls enclosing car park to south

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 27 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434953

Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Montacute

Built-Up Area: Montacute

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Montacute

Listing Text

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP THE BOROUGH (North side, off)
7/131 Quadrangle, about 6 metres south
of Montacute House, and walls
enclosing car park to south
(formerly listed as outbuildings
to south of Montacute House).
19.4.61
GV II
Range of buildings and walls adjoining forming quadrangle. C16, modified mid C19. Ham stone, mostly ashlar; Welsh slate
monopitch roofs, with safe rooflights. U plan, with ranges of buildings to north and east, walling to south. North
range has throughway, and two 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned windows, one with 4-centre arched lights with incised
spandrils, no label,the other now with mullion removed and casement inserted: in east range two 2-light and two
3-light mullioned windows, and three 4-centre arched doorways, 2 moulded, one heavily, and one merely chamfered: south
range has two 4-light and a single-light windows. On east face of east range high level windows indicate that this row
was formerly 2-storey: a new service court for this area designed by Lewis vulliamy but never built; instead the
existing service court was remodelled by 1853, the former buildings being lowered. The walling to the south, enclosing
the main car park, appears to have enclosed a more formal garden in 1782: walls about 2.5 metres high in coursed Ham
stone rubble, with some parts set higher especially to south; C20 gateways in south and west walls. (Girouard, M and
others, Montacute House, National Trust, 1985).


Listing NGR: ST4992517106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.