History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shropshire Union Canal Belvide Round House and Retaining Wall, Belvide Reservoir, at Sj 869103

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brewood and Coven, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6907 / 52°41'26"N

Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W

OS Eastings: 386908

OS Northings: 310351

OS Grid: SJ869103

Mapcode National: GBR 185.9TT

Mapcode Global: WHBFC.7MYM

Entry Name: Shropshire Union Canal Belvide Round House and Retaining Wall, Belvide Reservoir, at Sj 869103

Listing Date: 26 March 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435135

Location: Brewood and Coven, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST19

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Brewood and Coven

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Wood St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Kiddemore Green

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

BREWOOD SHROPSHIRE UNION
SJ 81 SE CANAL

486-/2/10000 Belvide Round House
and retaining wall,
Belvide Reservoir,
at SJ 869103


II*

Valve house and retaining wall. c1833. Designed by Thomas Telford for his Birminqham and Liverpool Junction (now Shropshire Union) Canal. Valve house is a dressed stone, Circular building, with a cast-iron dome. It has a pair of studded, wooden doors., facing
south, and a small, square opening piercing the wall facing east. The valve equipment inside is believed to be original. Adjoining to west is a concave,brick retaining wall built into the headbank of Belvide Reservoir. The wall has sloping wings and brick copings. The Round House is part of the water control system which feeds the Shropshire Union Canal.It houses a 'let-off' valve which allows water to run out of Belvide Reservoir, along
a feeder stream and into the canal. An extremely rare surviving example of an original valve house. The unusual combination of materials and the quality of design typify Telford's 'programme' of works for the B and LJ Canal which was constructed between
1827-35.


Listing NGR: SJ8690810351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.