This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.439 / 51°26'20"N
Longitude: -0.0549 / 0°3'17"W
OS Eastings: 535286
OS Northings: 172906
OS Grid: TQ352729
Mapcode National: GBR JG.2TP
Mapcode Global: VHGRF.0396
Plus Code: 9C3XCWQW+J2
Entry Name: The Capitol (formerly Capitol Cinema)
Listing Date: 14 September 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436173
Location: Lewisham, London, SE23
Electoral Ward/Division: Forest Hill
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Sydenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry has been subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/02/2019
LONDON ROAD (south side)
Nos. 11-21, The Capitol (formerly Capitol Cinema)
(Formerly listed as Nos. 11-15, Jasmine Bingo Hall (formerly Capitol Cinema))
Cinema, later Bingo Hall: built in 1928-29 by J Stanley Beard, a noted cinema architect and garden designer in Art Deco Egyptian style. This cinema was designed for silent films and sound equipment had to be inserted behind the screen in 1929. It was designed to seat 1700 and originally had a Compton organ.
Built of brick with white tiled facade with blue and yellow faience decorations, roof concealed by parapet. Two storeys and attics; seven windows. Recessed centre with five round-headed windows to first floor with stained glass divided by pilasters, behind which was the tearoom. Massive cornice above, then five tripartite windows to attic and pediment with acroteria and decorative bands. On either side are projecting full-height rusticated piers with brackets and torch decorations. End staircase bays have round-headed windows with stained glass to first floor. Late C20 fascia and five double doors.
Interior retains columned tearoom and a complete auditorium with original proscenium with gilded relief figures to pediment and engaged columns at each side, ribbed plastered ceiling with side pilasters and brackets and moulded balcony front. A rare survival of a complete 1920s cinema and the earliest complete cinema by Beard now surviving.
Listing NGR: TQ3528672906
Other nearby listed buildings