This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3509 / 51°21'3"N
Longitude: -2.2483 / 2°14'53"W
OS Eastings: 382801
OS Northings: 161337
OS Grid: ST828613
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.8DC
Mapcode Global: VH96V.Z98S
Plus Code: 9C3V9Q22+8M
Entry Name: Mount Pleasant Community Centre
Listing Date: 28 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436229
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BRADFORD ON AVON
ST8260 MOUNT PLEASANT
875- /1/10008 (North side)
Mount Pleasant Community
Primary school, now community centre. 1847, extension dated 1911, closed c1980. Squared,
coursed limestone, square diagonally-set ridge stacks in pairs, and stone slate roof.
Single-depth H-shaped 3-room plan. Tudor Domestic Revival style. Single storey;
8-window range. Symmetrical front and rear have projecting outer gables and short
projecting end gable extensions, with weathered angle buttresses and a central buttress,
kneelers to roll-top gable copings and ridges, cruciform finials, leaded vent bases to the
ridges, and a weathered bellcote to the left-hand 1847 gable. Flat-headed mullion and
transom windows with trefoil heads and labels, rear has paired 2-light windows to the gables
with small attic lights, the central section has outer 4-centre arched doorways with ridge and
batten doors, and 2-light inner windows beneath 2-light dormers with shouldered gables.
Similar front without doorways or dormers, and gables each have a large 4-light window.
1911 extensions each end in matching style have doorways to the front with sunken
spandrels and 2-light windows in the end gables. Interior: Former classrooms at either end
have a 5-bay arch-braced collar beam roof on moulded corbels, ceiled above the corbels in
the right-hand room, and a winder stair in the rear central room. Fireplaces removed.
Historical note: Probably a National school, given the proximity to the church, with the
headmaster's house (qv) for which grants were available from 1843. The division of the space
allowed the separation of infants. A reasonably complete early example of a village school
with group value with the church and headmaster's house (qqv).
Listing NGR: ST8275361283
Other nearby listed buildings