This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8851 / 53°53'6"N
Longitude: -1.664 / 1°39'50"W
OS Eastings: 422181
OS Northings: 443264
OS Grid: SE221432
Mapcode National: GBR JRTJ.J1
Mapcode Global: WHC8Y.DLVZ
Entry Name: Carlton Hall
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436574
Location: Carlton, Leeds, LS19
Civil Parish: Carlton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
CARLTON CARLTON LANE
SE 24 SW
LS 19 (east side)
5/117 Carlton Hall
Lesser gentry hall-house. Probably early C17 or earlier, restored and
altered internally c.1900. Large coursed blocks of squared sandstone, stone
slate roof. Hall-and-crosswings plan within a rectangle. Now all 2 storeys
but formerly open single-storey hall with storeyed wings; chamfered plinth;
continuous dripmould carried round the whole and stepped over very large
transomed hall window of 4 + 4 lights with a king mullion, and over a doorway
into the left wing, which has a moulded Tudor-arched surround (lintel
restored), heavily-studded door, and unusual overlight of 3 square lights;
otherwise, the gable of this wing has a restored 4-light window, the gable
of the right wing has a King-mullioned window of 3 + 3 lights, and at
1st floor each wing has a transomed window of 3 + 3 lights with a king
mullion; and there is an inserted 2-light window at 1st floor of the hall.
Gable copings with kneelers and finials. Two ridge chimneys. Left return
wall of left wing has inserted door and window. Right return wall of right
wing has an external chimney stack (cut down to eaves level), a 2-light
window at ground floor to left of this, and another at 1st floor to right.
Rear: vertical joints at upper level indicating that rear wall of hall has
been raised to 2 storeys; two 2-light windows at ground floor, with dripmould
over them, inserted window above; rear gables of wings have 5-light windows
at ground floor, transomed 4-light windows above.
fInterior: almost entirely remodelled, c.1900. but floor inserted in hall at
that time recently removed; in the wing, a Tudor-arched stone fireplace in
parlour at ground floor, another in chamber above; stone flagged floors.
Listing NGR: SE2218143264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings