History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Westborough, Newark, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9893 / 52°59'21"N

Longitude: -0.7349 / 0°44'5"W

OS Eastings: 485017

OS Northings: 344299

OS Grid: SK850442

Mapcode National: GBR CMQ.M01

Mapcode Global: WHFJ3.P475

Plus Code: 9C4XX7Q8+P2

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436728

Location: Westborough and Dry Doddington, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG23

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Westborough and Dry Doddington

Built-Up Area: Westborough

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Westborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Long Bennington

Listing Text

SK 84 SE WESTBOROUGH & DRY DODDINGTON TOWN STREET (south end)

5/99 Church of All Saints
20.9.66
G.V. I

Parish church. C11, c.1190, late C13, C14, C15, C17, 1749-52 restored in 1811,
C19, 1951. Limestone ashlar,coursed ironstone rubble, blue lias, red brick,
some rendering, with lead, pantile and slate roofs. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles, north and south porches, north transept, rectangular
chancel, north-east vestry. Ashlar tower of 1752, of 3 stages with small
plinth. First stage, west side has C20 rectangular door with pair of plain
pointed C18 lights above. Second stage has 2 single pointed lights, 4 bell
openings of plain paired pointed lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above.
North aisle of coursed ironstone and blue lias rubble. In south corner an C18
buttress level with first stage of tower. Blocked C18 doorway with segmtnal
headed and blocked late C12 lancet above. Small, plain narrow angle buttress.
Larger angle buttress on noth side with "R.G.1749" scratched on it. Fragmentary
string course. Early C14 pointed window of 3 cusped lights with reticulated
tracery divided by a transom and C19 hood mould. Moulded eaves and early C15
battlements above. North porch of irregular blocks of ashlar, blue lias and
earlyC19 brick with dentillated eaves, plain segmental headed archway, coped
gable and slate roof. Interior of porch is flanked by stone benches with north
doorway of c.1190 with 2 flanking columnar responds with plain moulded capitals
and pointed arch with filleted rolls. East of porch are 2 small circular
windows, probably re-set C11 fragments. Late C13 north transept raised in
early C15. Moulded string course which does not run over angle buttress of
2 stages. Large C17 north window of 5 lights with 2 transoms and intersecting
tracery, the lower transom having shallow castellation decoration. Window
flanked by nook shafts with shaft rings and moulded capitals with hood mould
above. Damaged C15 parapet with shields and quatrefoils above. East and
west sides of transept are battlemented. East side has two 3-light late C13
pointed windows with intersecting tracery. Clerestorey of 3 early C15 windows
each of 2 lights under 3-centred heads. Moulded eaves and battlements above.
Late C12 chancel has small ashlar plinth and moulded string course on north
side. Small, low, C15 rectangular window with late C12 doorway, now blocked
to the east, with fragmentary stiff-leaf capitals and moulded pointed arch.
4 tall C12 lancets, the 2 to the east cut off, but intact where the C15
vestry was added. Vestry has heavily moulded plinth and string course, a
small buttress of 2 stages on west side and small C12 quatrefoil inserted.
East side has C15 window of 2 ogee headed lights with continuous mullion under
a 3-centred head. Moulded eaves and lead roof. C15 moulded plinth and string
course continue across C12 chancel's east front. Pilaster buttresses flank
large C17 rectangular window of 5 lights with a single transom decorated with
shallow castellations, flanked by nook shafts with shaft rings and moulded
capitals. Rendered brick gable above of 1951. Southside of chancel has C12
plinth and string course, 2 tall lancets and to the west an C18 rectangular
window of 2 ogee lights each divided by a mullion with quatrefoils above, and
hood mould with weathered head label stops. C18 string course below at lower
level than C12 string course broken into by window. South aisle's east end
was rebuilt in 1750 after collapse of south transept, with plinth, string course
and rectangular window with 5 round headed lights divided by transom. Moulded
eaves above, Large squat buttress below masonry joint revealing break between
C18 and C14 builds. String course runs below C14 pointed window of 3 cusped
lights with mouchettes and hood mould. Original pitch of south porch roof
visible with moulded eaves above. C15 porch with moulded plinth and the
diagonal buttresses cut off by present, lower roof level. Plain polygonal
jambed doorway with pointed moulded arch and ogee headed empty: niche above.
Benches flank porch interior. Late C12 south door with columnar responds,
that to the west missing, plain moulded capitals and plain moulded pointed
arch. C15 window to west of porch with 3 cusped lights with mullions continued
up into the tracery above, 4-centred hoodmould and weathered head label stops.
Diagonal buttress of 3 stages. C15 west window of 3 cusped lights with
continuous mullions under rectangular head. Clerestory of 3 C15 windows,
each of 2 lights under 3-centred head. Plain, pointed, blocked, C18 interior
tower arch with plain C20 door inserted. C18 murals of Death and St. Michael
painted above. Nave arcades of c.1190, of 2 bays and crossing bay. Piers
of 4 clustered shafts with plain moulded capitals and bases. The western
responds are semi-circular with plain waterleaf capitals and shaft rings. North
aisle's west wall contains blocked C18 doorway. To the east where the north
aisle leads into transept the pier is paired with a late C13 octagonal pier
supporting a pointed moulded arch. Chancel arch of c.1190, pointed with plain
chamfers. The innermost responds broken off probably for insertion of screen
no longer extant. String course runs round under sills of chancel windows.
C15 4-centred doorway to vestry in north wall with C15 door. Rectangular
aumbry in north wall. Sedilia of 3 trefoiled stark and heavy arches in south
wall. To east are 2 round headed arches over piscina. 9 C15 bench ends
restored in 1951. C15 screen of 4 panels divided by mullions with rosettes,
cusping and shallow castellations on vertical rail. C19 pulpit and lectern.
C12 octagonal stone font with interlaced arches and beaded flat stylised leaves
in spandrels. Large C16 chest with sunken panels and several locks. Early
C20 pews. C12 foliated cross slab now in south transept bay formerly in church
yard.


Listing NGR: SK8501644299

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.