History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Paddocks and the Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Whiston, Knowsley

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4024 / 53°24'8"N

Longitude: -2.8067 / 2°48'24"W

OS Eastings: 346462

OS Northings: 389814

OS Grid: SJ464898

Mapcode National: GBR 8YV3.41

Mapcode Global: WH879.VRN0

Plus Code: 9C5VC52V+X8

Entry Name: The Paddocks and the Stables

Listing Date: 5 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436692

Location: Whiston, Knowsley, L35

County: Knowsley

Civil Parish: Whiston

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Whiston St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Prescot

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/11/2012


SJ 48 NE
1/62


WHISTON
WINDY ARBOR ROAD
The Paddocks and The Stables


(Formerly listed as Range of outbuildings 10m NE of Carr House Farmhouse)


GV
II


Former barn and associated farm buildings. 1819 (datestone, R 1819 C) incorporating C16 and C17 work. Finely coursed rubble with sandstone dressing; brick to rear. Graduated slate roofs. The buildings form a single range (aligned NW/SE) and consist of 3 elements: (1) a low, single-storeyed room, probably a former byre, with a datestone, re-positioned, GPH, 1506, in gable wall; (2) a formerly part-storeyed barn (now entirely,without floors), extended in 1819 but preserving a datestone (GAP 1653) in the original (now internal) gable wall; and (3) a single-storeyed room to SE. All the openings on the principal (house-side) elevation date from the 1819 re-modelling. (1) wide doorway flanked by single-light windows, all with hood moulds, the former with quoined jambs, (2) with 1st floor plot band and quoining; 3 oculi with alternating square-headed windows to 1st floor; 3 similar windows and two doorways to ground, one with the 1819 datestone; vertical masonry joint marks former end wall. All openings blocked. Rear walls rebuilt in brick; blocked wagon entrance to (2) flanked by large buttresses (one dismantled). Breathers (some blocked). End walls with breathers in dressed surrounds. Interiors: (1) has squat king post roof with large side purlins. (2), 3 bays king post with queen strut roof, 2 sets of back purlins.


Listing NGR: SJ4646289814

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.