History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longville House

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1565 / 52°9'23"N

Longitude: 1.0509 / 1°3'3"E

OS Eastings: 608793

OS Northings: 255301

OS Grid: TM087553

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.NJF

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.52F5

Entry Name: Longville House

Listing Date: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407541

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HAWKSMILL STREET
TM 0855

3/64 No.10, (Longville House)
-
II

House and museum. C15/early C16 core probably in 2 stages, with major
remodelling in mid C19. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed core, largely
rebuilt in C18 and C19 red brick. Elevation to Hawksmill Street: C18 red
brick walling with band at 1st floor and a coved plastered eaves cornice.
Plaintiled roof with C19 parapet gables and various chimneys of red brick.
C19 gabled casement dormers. C19 casements, in C18 openings with flat arches
of gauged brick. Mid C19 entrance doorway at side: an arched panelled door
with gabled plaintiled porch cantilevered on large timber brackets. Two rooms
in the front range have ceilings with exposed floor joists, in the hall the
joists are roll-moulded and the bridging joist is also embattled in the early
C16 manner, and in the end room the joists are unchamfered and very large in
the mediaeval manner. A large rear wing in gault and red brick is a mid C19
rebuilding of an earlier range. The house was acquired by Edmund Bedingfield,
clothier, in 1721. It was known at that time as the Woad House, apparently
having been used for the dying of cloth for many years.


Listing NGR: TM0879655296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.