History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Limes Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1549 / 52°9'17"N

Longitude: 1.0505 / 1°3'1"E

OS Eastings: 608772

OS Northings: 255121

OS Grid: TM087551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VT1

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.536D

Entry Name: The Limes Hotel

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436925

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
TM 05 NE

3/93 The Limes Hotel (formerly
listed as No.99 (The
9.12.55 Limes))


- II*

Hotel, c.1500 with alterations of late C16 and late C18. The front range
comprises a high-quality 2-cell timber-framed building of c.1500, encased at
the front in red brickwork in, it is believed 1771. A parapet of red brick
has a wooden moulded and modillioned cornice. Plaintiled roof; flat-roofed
dormers with leaded casements. Rear chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys and
attics. 6 windows. C18 sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, and small
panes. Good C18 entrance doorway: an open pediment on engaged Roman Doric
columns; the whole entablature is enriched with fretted patterns. 6-panelled
door and panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlight with scroll-patterned
glazing bars. The doorway is approached by 7 stone steps with wrought iron
railings. Both cells in the front range have a large room on each floor: at
the ground storey are ceilings of richly-moulded joists of c.1500, the main
beams are also embattled. At the upper storey both rooms (now subdivided and
with attics inserted) have an open truss with an octagonal crownpost with
moulded capital and base. A long range to rear right is in 3 sections: a
short section of c.1600 with a massive internal chimney, a longer range to
rear of mid C16 having a 5-bay roof whose crown posts are square with long
straight braces, and a C17/C18 extension beyond. A 2-storey block was added
to rear in c.1771 forming a double-pile plan; hipped plaintiled roofs, and at
1st storey are original small-pane sashes with flush frames. A large mid C20
single-storey extension to rear. On the Ashburnham Estate Map of 1772, the
premises were described as The Bull Inn, and extensive ranges at the rear
enclosed a courtyard.


Listing NGR: TM0877255121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.