History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Young's Stores

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.155 / 52°9'17"N

Longitude: 1.0505 / 1°3'1"E

OS Eastings: 608769

OS Northings: 255130

OS Grid: TM087551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VT0

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.535B

Entry Name: Young's Stores

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436926

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
TM 0855

3/94 No.101 and Young's Stores
(formerly listed as
9.12.55 Nos. 101 and 103)

- II

House and shop. Facade of late C18 and C19. A complex building with a core of
several dates including a low early C18 range to the street, and a tall
mid/late C16 cross-wing to left; both of 2 storeys. Timber-framed and
plastered; the main range has a parapet masking a shallow-pitched slated front
roof slope. The remaining roofs are plaintiled. An internal chimney of red
brick. Mid C19 small-pane sashes. A fine wide late C18 bow-fronted shop
window with small panes, with a deeply-recessed doorway at the centre: a pair
of half-glazed panelled doors with Tuscan columns supporting a flat
entablature. The cornice continues over the shop windows on either side, and
at each end are slender pilasters. A late C18 6-panelled entrance door to
No.101, the upper pair of panels glazed. The left-hand parlour block has some
good mid C16 features: arch-braced close-studding and moulded ceiling beams
in the chamber above; the studwork retains its original herringbone
bricknogging. Now within the roofspace is an area of wall-painting on
plaster, simulating the bricknogging beneath in bright red with fine white
joints, and one square panel with a painted foliate design is included. The
painting is early, and perhaps original. Coupled-rafter roof. Behind is a
lower wing of earlier C16 or possibly C15, with evidence for a crownpost roof,
now rebuilt; a C17 window lights a staircase tower, and a rare twin early C18
window has some bullseye glass in square panes with thick glazing bars. A
long rear wing to right is mainly of C19 red brick but may have an earlier
core. In continuous use as a grocer's shop since at least 1784, when known as
John Woodward, Grocer and Draper.


Listing NGR: TM0876955130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.