This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1378 / 51°8'16"N
Longitude: 0.338 / 0°20'16"E
OS Eastings: 563658
OS Northings: 140218
OS Grid: TQ636402
Mapcode National: GBR NR6.N7R
Mapcode Global: VHHQF.TN1L
Entry Name: Pastheap Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437884
Location: Pembury, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Pembury
Built-Up Area: Pembury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Pembury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 64 SW PEMBURY HASTINGS ROAD
5/366 Pastheap Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Late C16/early C17, minor alterations of circa 1700, some
C19 and C20 modernisations including a major modernisation of circa 1980 at
which time a C19 cartshed was brought into domestic use. Timber-framed.
Ground floor level underbuilt predominantly with Flemish bond red brick with
burnt headers; framing above is clad with peg-tile. Brick stack on sandstone
base and staggered chimneyshaft includes some early, if not original, brick.
Plan: Tall house originally facing north towards the road. 2-room lobby
entrance plan. Axial stack between the rooms serves back-to-back fireplaces.
Unusually large hall/kitchen to left (east) and small parlour to right. Front
doorway (now blocked) into a stair turret projecting in front of the stack.
Bakehouse in lean-to to rear of parlour end with rear stack.
The parlour end was evidently somewhat altered circa 1700 and it may be that
the fireplace here dates from that time and that this room was formerly an
unheated service room. Front stair turret may also date from this time. The
C17 plan of one heated room with a service room is here on a much larger scale
than usual. Bakehouse is secondary. It could be as early as circa 1700 but
is probably C19. Circa 1980 the front doorway was blocked and new entrance
porch built on the right (parlour) end. This new porch also provided a link
to the C19 former cartshed (nearly parallel to the main block but set back
behind and west of the bakehouse). It is now part of the house, one large
House is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace and cellar under the
Exterior: Irregular fenestration with 3 ground floor windows and 2 first
floor windows, all C20 casements with leaded diamond pane effect. Similar
windows around the rest of the house. Original front doorway into the front
stair turret is blocked. Tall main roof is gable-ended to left and half-
hipped to right. To rear roof carried down as a catslide over the bakehouse.
The former cartshed is brick built with 2 large Frnech windows in the south
side (presumably the former cartshed doorways). Its roof is half-hipped both
Interior: The hall/kitchen has a large original firpelace; sandstone ashlar
with a chamfered and scroll-stopped oak lintel. It-is a large room with an
intersecting beam 4-panel ceiling of axial beams tied into a main crossbeam.
All are chamfered with scroll stops. Plain joists. Smaller firpelace on
first floor and similar axial beams with an original framed crosswall between
the 2 chambers over the hall/kitchen. The parlour appears to be the result of
a circa 1700 refurbishment although the fireplace is also sandstone. 2 axial
beams are chamfered with runout stops. Circa 1700 cupboard at the back of the
fireplace, its fielded panel door hung on H-hinges. Original roof over
hall/kitchen section. 3 bays of clasped side purlin construction but replaced
over parlour end with butt purlin roof. Bakehouse has plain carpentry detail.
Brick fireplace with bread oven and high plain oak lintel. The former
cartshed room is open to the roof of arch-braced tie beams and clasped side
Listing NGR: TQ6365840218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings