This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4303 / 51°25'48"N
Longitude: -0.3613 / 0°21'40"W
OS Eastings: 514015
OS Northings: 171414
OS Grid: TQ140714
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.PKW
Mapcode Global: VHFTS.P9CW
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 7 March 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255505
English Heritage Legacy ID: 459808
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW12
County: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Fulwell and Hampton Hill
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Hampton Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 1471 ST JAMES'S ROAD, Hampton
22/18/10059 CHURCH OF ST JAMES
Church, begun in 1864 by Wigginton (nave and chancel), completed with the tower by Romaine Walker and Tanner in 1888. Yellow stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Nave with aisles, tower at west end. Church enlarged in 1873 with addition of north aisle of 6 bays with transverse gables, which pierce roof of nave. Chancel enlarged and furnished in 1876-7 to Wigginton's plans. East window removed to west end and new window by Bailey inserted. South aisle and porch completed 1879. Tower, three stages with battlemented parapet, pinnacles and corner buttresses built 1887-8 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, by Romaine Walker and Tanner. Tall stone spire, pierced with brick banding, Clock by Smith and Derby added 1893.
lNTERIOR: nave divided from aisles by 6 bay arcades with pointed arches resting on simple round piers with naturalistically carved capitals, all different. Open timber roof. Pointed chancel arch with red and black brick banding bordered by decorative inscription: '0 come let us ,worship and fall down and kneel before the Lord our Maker'. Chancel has elaborate timber roof with pairs of arched braces. Triple lancet window divided by columns with carved capitals. Choir stalls with carved ends and pierced fronts. Carved angel heads on corbels supporting roof braces. Altar rail: alabaster and marble colonnettes. Minton tiles in decorative floor scheme which continues behind the altar. Carved stone reredos depicting angels, fruit, birds, wheat, and bread. Pulpit: hexagonal alabaster and stone. East window: 1876 by Bailey of London; the rest of the stained glass is Edwardian. Four mosaic panels depict saints. Brass eagle lectern 1882. Baptistry: brick vaulted ceiling with stone ribs. Triple light window, and 2-light window on either side. Octagonal stone font with carved panels and marble colonnettes, 1865.
Listing NGR: TQ1401571414
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings