History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial to Queen Victoria

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leeds, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8111 / 53°48'39"N

Longitude: -1.5579 / 1°33'28"W

OS Eastings: 429209

OS Northings: 435069

OS Grid: SE292350

Mapcode National: GBR BFF.YM

Mapcode Global: WHC9D.1GFP

Plus Code: 9C5WRC6R+CR

Entry Name: Memorial to Queen Victoria

Listing Date: 5 August 1976

Last Amended: 11 September 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465817

Location: Leeds, LS2

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park and Woodhouse

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Woodhouse and Wrangthorn

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE2935 WOODHOUSE LANE, Woodhouse Moor
714-1/24/1281 (South West side)
05/08/76 Memorial to Queen Victoria
(Formerly Listed as:
HYDE PARK, Woodhouse Moor
Memorial to Queen Victoria on east
side of Woodhouse Moor)

GV II*

Memorial. 1903. By George Frampton RA. Portland stone base and
pedestal with bronze figures and frieze. Base of 4 stone
steps. The plinth has mouldings on front and rear, a
continuous frieze has the words 'INDIA', 'AUSTRALIA', 'CANADA'
and 'AFRICA' on scrolled plaques flanked by owls and symbolic
foliage. The tall plinth has the royal arms carved in deep
relief to front and the words 'RAISED/ BY/ VOLUNTARY
SUBSCRIPTION/ OF /CITIZENS/ OF/ LEEDS/ IN THE YEAR/ 1901' on
the rear. The sides of the plinth have niches with seated
statue of 'PEACE' (left) and 'INDUSTRY' (right). The statue of
Queen Victoria is enthroned, in coronation robes; the back of
the throne has a radiant sun. On the plinth below the statue
the words 'GEO FRAMPTON RA 1903'. The statue originally stood
in Victoria Square, outside the Town Hall. It was unveiled on
27 November 1905 and was moved in 1937.
(Payne B & Payne D: Old Leeds in Photographs: 26).


Listing NGR: SE2920935069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.