History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jacobs Well

A Grade I Listed Building in Micklegate, York

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9568 / 53°57'24"N

Longitude: -1.0885 / 1°5'18"W

OS Eastings: 459908

OS Northings: 451574

OS Grid: SE599515

Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.4B

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7TX0

Entry Name: Jacobs Well

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256384

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464958

Location: York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 5951 NE,

TRINITY LANE (South West side),
No.5, Jacob's Well




House, now parish room of Holy Trinity Priory Church,
Micklegate (qv). Late C15; possibly extended in early C16, and
hall floored in C17; wing raised and further extended in early
C19. Restored and altered in 1905, including reconstruction of
late C15 canopy over door; restored 1991, including removal of
additional storey and construction of new roof to wing.
Restoration and alterations of 1905 by Walter Harvey Brook;
restoration of 1991 by Peter Marshall, Architects, of York.

MATERIALS: timber-framed, with original infilling of wall
tiles, ground floor at front encased in rubble stone, with
areas of brick of various dates; ground floor alterations at
rear rebuilt in dressed stone; first floor of both fronts
plastered and whitewashed. C19 extension of red brick, part
Flemish bond, part English garden-wall bond. Roofs tile and
pantile, with rebuilt brick stack at left end of entrance
PLAN: 1-bay open hall with 2-bay cross wing and later

EXTERIOR: 2-storey front, two and half bays of framing, the
upper floor jettied on two sides; 2-storey 1-window extension
to right. Original entrance in jettied right return, now
enclosed in C19 extension. Door case towards left end
incorporates reconstructed canopy with embattled mouldings,
coffered on underside, on medieval cusped brackets, the
spandrels carved with an eagle, a Tudor rose, leaves and
flowers. Renewed door with 2-centred head in architrave carved
with flower heads between colonnette jambs with moulded bases
and inverted bell capitals. Renewed 3-light mullioned window
at left end of ground floor; to right, renewed 2 x 6-pane
horizontal sliding sash. On first floor are two mullioned
windows, one of 5 lights in shallow oriel, one of 4 lights,
both renewed. Window mullions are timber, of diamond form, and
windows have lead latticed lights. Both windows in extension
are 2-light horizontal sliding sashes, 6-paned on ground floor
beneath segmental arch, 4-paned on first floor beneath timber
lintel, both with stone sills.
Rear: 2-storey 1-bay hall, with 2-storey cross wing to right.
Double chamfered doorway in cross wing, with 2-centred head and
nail-studded door, to left of hollow-chamfered square-headed
window of two pointed lights. Ground floor of hall contains
projecting square bay with roll moulded parapet and 4-light
mullion window. Continuous hoodmould runs across bay window
and returns above door and window in cross wing. On first
floor, cross wing has 4-light window with brick mullions in
chamfered brick surround, and hall has 6-light timber
mullioned window. Hall has timber guttering on elongated iron
scroll brackets.

INTERIOR: ground floor: inserted studded wall divides
cross wing, in which dragon beam and floor joists, some
replacements, survive at right end; left end under-ceiled. In
wall between cross wing and C19 extension, original doorway and
6-light mullion window survive, beneath original first floor
jetty. Hall has ogee-arched chamfered fireplace with heavy
timber lintel carved with embattled mouldings; ceiling beam
and joists are chamfered. Inserted door and 3-light mullion
window leads to staircase extension. Staircase has close
string and open panelled balustrade, moulded handrail and
square newels with truncated pyramidal caps. 2-light mullion
and transom staircase window with leaded lights and opaque
glazing, and ogee mullion and transoms. On first floor,
ceiling over stairs is coffered with chamfered beams and
painted carved bosses at intersections. Framing in hall is
complete except for wall broken for staircase. In cross wing,
chimneybreast and fire hood, with timber surround to fireplace
with simply moulded jambs and shelf.
Roofs: hall has two crown post trusses with ridge purlin,
collared rafters and 1 side purlin on intact side opposite
staircase. Reconstructed crown post roof to cross wing. Notable
early and late C20 ironwork on most doors and windows.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
LXII; 109).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.