This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.94 / 53°56'23"N
Longitude: -1.1062 / 1°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 458771
OS Northings: 449689
OS Grid: SE587496
Mapcode National: GBR NQQW.9C
Mapcode Global: WHDB4.Z7DC
Plus Code: 9C5WWVQV+XG
Entry Name: Church of St Edward the Confessor
Listing Date: 24 June 1983
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464863
Location: Dringhouses and Woodthorpe, York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Dringhouses & Woodthorpe
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dringhouses St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5849NE TADCASTER ROAD, Dringhouses
1112-1/26/1217 (East side)
24/06/83 Church of St Edward the Confessor
(Formerly Listed as:
TADCASTER ROAD, Dringhouses
Church of St Edward)
Parish church. 1847-9 by Vickers and Hugall of Pontefract.
Vestry enlarged 1902, and spire renewed 1970.
MATERIALS: squared limestone, with green slate roofs.
PLAN: the church has an aisleless nave, west bell turret,
north porch, lower chancel, and south-east vestry.
EXTERIOR: the west wall has diagonal buttresses, and a central
buttress reducing in 4 stages. To each side there is a moulded
pointed window of 2 lights with Geometrical tracery. At the
apex of the gable there is a 4-sided bell turret, set
diagonally and carried on moulded corbelling. Its lowest stage
has a clock face facing north-west, and the bell openings are
pointed and cusped. The spire is of fibreglass imitating
ashlar. The south wall of the nave is of 4 bays separated by
buttresses. The windows are moulded and pointed and have
Geometrical tracery. Except for the western window, which is
of one light, they are of 2 lights. The north wall of the nave
has 2 similar windows. The gabled porch has a moulded pointed
doorway with angle shafts which have foliated caps, and with
C20 glazed doors. Below the apex of the gable there is a niche
with a statue of St Edward the Confessor. The north wall of
the chancel has two 2-light windows with more elaborate
mouldings which include ball flower decoration and with hood
moulds which have head stops. The east window of the chancel
is of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery and has ornamentation
which includes ball flower decoration and shafts with foliated
caps. The south wall of the vestry has windows with plain
pointed lights, of 2 lights to the left of the door and one to
the right. The east wall of the vestry has a flat head and 2
trefoiled ogee lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record the interior as painted
and gilded, with painted texts and inscribed scrolls in
relief: Minton tiled floor. Nave roof supported on demi-angel
FITTINGS: include octagonal stone pulpit and font, wooden pews
and carved choir stalls.
The stained glass was designed for the church by William
Wailes, 1849. Memorial window of 1932 to Mrs G Brierley by
MONUMENTS: include: in Vestry, monument to Samuel Francis
Barlow, 1800, removed from earlier chapel: white on grey
marble with fluted base, moulded cornice, with draped urn on
pedestal between two flaming lamps, signed Wm.Stead, York.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 288; RCHME: City of York: South-west of the
Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 38-40).
Listing NGR: SE5877149689
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings