History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 11 and 13 and Attached Garden Gates and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Micklegate, York

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9563 / 53°57'22"N

Longitude: -1.0884 / 1°5'18"W

OS Eastings: 459915

OS Northings: 451520

OS Grid: SE599515

Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.5J

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7TZD

Entry Name: Numbers 11 and 13 and Attached Garden Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 24 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464470

Location: York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1112-1/15/883 (North East side)
24/06/83 Nos.11 AND 13
and attached garden gates and


House and cottage attached, with garden wall, railings and
gates attached. 1858. By James Simpson of Leeds.
MATERIALS: grey-cream mottled brick in English garden-wall
bond; ashlar door- and window-cases, dressings and cornice;
slate roof with stone coping and brick stacks. Garden wall of
brick with chamfered stone coping, cast-iron railings and
garden gates.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey, 5-window front. Both houses have renewed
panelled front doors beneath segment-headed overlights: No.11
has shouldered architrave with keyblock, and No.13 has
pilastered doorcase with moulded imposts, stilted segmental
arch with keyblock, and moulded cornice hood. Windows are
segment-headed 4-pane sashes in keyed eared and shouldered
architraves, with painted stone sills on ground floor. First
floor windows have sill band on block brackets, and
intermediate windows are narrower than end and centre ones.
Moulded eaves cornice returns at each end.
Rear: three parallel gabled wings with 12-pane sash windows
with painted stone sills and brick arches.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low garden wall surmounted by turned
railings with fleur-de-lys tips and standards with ball
finials. The house and cottage were provided for the
Headmaster and the Chapel-keeper of the adjacent Wesleyan
Methodist school, now Priory Street Sports and Community
Centre (qv) and chapel, now Assembly of God Pentecostal Church
(qv) respectively.
(Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Birds'-eye View of the City of
York in 1850: York: 1988-: 38).

Listing NGR: SE5991851519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.