This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9561 / 53°57'21"N
Longitude: -1.0879 / 1°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 459945
OS Northings: 451494
OS Grid: SE599514
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.8L
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8T5K
Entry Name: Priory Street Sports and Community Centre
Listing Date: 24 June 1983
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464489
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5951SE PRIORY STREET
1112-1/20/891 (North East side)
24/06/83 Priory Street Sports and Community
(Formerly Listed as:
Priory Street Sports Centre)
Shown on OS map as Central College of Further Education.
Priory Street Wesleyan School, now community centre. 1858,
with later alteration and extension. By James Simpson of
Leeds. Pink-cream mottled brick in English garden-wall bond;
ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with brick stacks.
Extension of similar brick with orange brick banding and slate
EXTERIOR: 1-storey front; three pedimented blocks, end ones
boldly projecting, centre one breaking forward slightly, of
4:3:4 bays respectively, linked by 2-bay ranges. Extension set
back at right end. Entrances altered; present doors in linking
ranges and in returns to projecting end wings. Original
central entrance in centre block altered to tall 3-light
window with 6-pane sashes in plain ashlar surround with
moulded cornice hood. Flanking windows, and those in link
ranges, are 18-pane segment-headed sashes in keyed eared and
shouldered architraves with ashlar sills on sill blocks.
Windows in end blocks are round-headed radial-glazed sashes
beneath keyed moulded archivolts on continuous moulded imposts
over acanthus label-stops; sill band on sill blocks. Moulded
cornices to eaves and to pediments: pediment of centre block
encloses blind circular panel in shaped surround with moulded
semicircular archivolt. Extension to right linked to main
building by entrance bay with panelled double doors beneath
divided overlight: gabled classroom block has 3-light
segment-arched window with moulded mullions and transoms and
Rear of main building: window types in end blocks repeat those
of main front without architraves but with plain brick arches.
4-course raised brick eaves band with brick dentils across
centre range continues on returns of end blocks. Left return:
7 round headed radial glazed sash windows with painted stone
sills and gauged brick arches. Eaves band as at rear.
INTERIOR: of main building: rooms have coffered ceilings with
chamfer stopped beams carried on shaped brackets and inverted
bell-shaped bosses at the intersections. In most rooms some
dado panelling, rails and picture rails survive. In entrance
hall is copper wall monument commemorating the "Sons of this
School" who lost their lives in the 1914-1918 War.
(Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of
York in 1850: York: 1988-: 38; Pace GG: Bishophill: York:
York: 1974-: 5, 25).
Listing NGR: SE5994851489
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings