This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9571 / 53°57'25"N
Longitude: -1.087 / 1°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 460005
OS Northings: 451609
OS Grid: SE600516
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.G7
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8SMS
Entry Name: Church of St Martin Cum Gregory
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464065
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/28/692 (South side)
14/06/54 Church of St Martin cum Gregory
(Formerly Listed as:
Parish church, now public hall. C11 nave; early C13 north and
south arcades; mid C14 north aisle with C13 north doorway.
c1430 chancel, chancel chapels and arcades rebuilt retaining
part of early C14 south chapel east wall; south side rebuilt,
retaining late C14 south porch doorway and upper storey
window; west tower rebuilt. Late C15 chancel arch and nave
clerestory. 1655 north porch added; c1677 west tower refaced
in brick. C18 north and south aisles reroofed; nave and north
aisle ceiled. 1844-45 tower upper stage rebuilt; vestry and
anteroom formed at west end of north aisle. 1894 restoration
and chancel reroofed. 1844-45 work by JB and W Atkinson.
MATERIALS: dressed limestone with some gritstone,
incorporating Pre-Conquest fragments; east end gables and
south aisle west gable built up in brick; tower refaced in
orange-red brick in English garden wall bond, with ashlar
quoins and dressings. Roofs of lead, tile and slate.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels; 2-bay aisled
nave and clerestory, north vestry; west tower.
EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end, chancel and north chapel on
chamfered plinth, south chapel on moulded plinth; buttresses
with offsets, north angle one with decaying gargoyle. North
chapel window of 5 cinquefoiled lights with trefoil-headed
panel tracery in 2-centred head. South chapel window of three
ogee-headed trefoiled lights beneath cusped reticulated
tracery, in chamfered 2-centred head with hoodmould. On north
side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays articulated by buttresses
with offsets and decaying gargoyles. 3-light windows similar
in detail to that at east end, over moulded sillstring.
Beneath easternmost window is partly buried blocked window of
two ogee-headed trefoiled lights in chamfered square head.
Coved cornice carved with bosses beneath parapet. Aisle on
chamfered plinth. Coped and gabled porch projects towards west
end with chamfered 2-centred arch; within, reset doorway with
2-centred arch beneath nailhead hoodmould. Windows are of
three trefoiled lights with cusped reticulated tracery in
2-centred heads over chamfered sillstring.
On south side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays separated by
buttresses with moulded offsets. Windows are of three
cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery, some renewed, in
2-centred heads, beneath hoodmoulds. Chamfered cornice and
parapet with moulded coping continues across south aisle.
Aisle on moulded plinth has three buttresses with moulded
offsets, two with defaced armorial shields and gargoyles.
Westernmost bay has C20 glazed door in chamfered round-arched
doorway, beneath low window of two ogee-headed trefoiled
lights in chamfered square head. Two windows to east, of three
cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery in 2-centred heads with
hoodmoulds. 3-stage west tower with quoins and embattled
parapet, on chamfered plinth incorporating part of
Pre-Conquest cross shaft. West face has first stage window of
three cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery in 2-centred head.
On second stage, square-headed window of 2 lights in quoined
chamfered surround. Belfry has openings of paired cinquefoiled
lights in 2-centred heads, with louvres; south one blocked,
north one incorporates clock face. North aisle west end has
one 2-light window similar in detail to those in north wall,
over chamfered sillstring returned on north wall.
INTERIOR: north and south chancel arcades of 2-centred arches
of two chamfered orders on octagonal pier and responds with
moulded capitals and bases. 2-centred chancel arch of two
hollow chamfered orders which die into wall. Wall above north
chapel arcade has hollow chamfered eaves string carved with
leaves and flowers. North and south chapels have 2-centred
arches of two chamfered orders on half-octagonal responds with
moulded capitals and bases: outer order of south arch dies
into the wall. Nave north arcade of 2-centred arches of two
chamfered orders, the inner on cylindrical centre pier with
nailhead capital and moulded base and springing from corbel
shafts with moulded capitals; outer order continues as the
respond and terminates in run-out stop. Nave south arcade is
similar but the outer order is broach-stopped over pier and
responds. Above and at east end of both arcades, rectangular
openings to original rood loft are exposed. Three clerestory
windows on each side, of three cinquefoiled lights in
square-headed surrounds above chamfered sillstring. 2-centred
tower arch of two chamfered orders, the inner springing from
half-octagonal responds with moulded capitals, the outer
terminating in broach stops.
Renewed chancel roof panelling incorporates circular moulded
panel enclosing septfoil. North and south chapel roofs
panelled with moulded beams and cambered ties, the north one
supported on C19 arched braces with mouchette tracery in
spandrels. Nave roof panelled, with moulded beams, moulded and
cambered ties and painted bosses, those in centre with
heraldic shields. North aisle roof ceiled; south aisle roof
ceiled at collar level above cased tie beams.
In south chapel east wall is tall moulded recess with arched
head, partly masked by later monument. In north aisle north
wall is tomb recess beneath flattened pointed arch of two
moulded orders. In south aisle west wall is reset stoup with a
half-octagonal bowl on a tapered base.
FITTINGS: C15 font with octagonal bowl, stem and base, and
font-cover of late C17-early C18. 1636 panelled hexagonal
pulpit on late C19 carved base and plinth; painted inscription
'Preach the Word in season and out of season'. William and
Mary hatchment over tower arch. 1753 communion rails. 1680
clock. C18 breadshelves. C18 reredos - 1749-51 altarpiece
(p.22a); triptych reredos with Commandment board flanked by
The Lord's Prayer and The Creed. Late C18 benefaction board.
Poor box, probably C19 with C18 backboard inscribed with a
quotation from Acts XX.35.
STAINED GLASS: in westernmost window of north chancel chapel a
memorial window to William Peckitt, 'glass painter and
stainer' (d.1795), 'designed and erected' by his widow.
Easternmost window of north aisle has a window by Peckitt with
female figure symbolising the Resurrection, dated 1792, in
centre light. Flanking lights contain the figures of St John
the Baptist and St Katherine surviving from chantry chapel
founded by Richard Toller, merchant, c1330.
The church was united with Holy Trinity, Micklegate (qv) in
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE6000551609
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings