History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crosby United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Blundellsands, Sefton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4875 / 53°29'15"N

Longitude: -3.0344 / 3°2'3"W

OS Eastings: 331463

OS Northings: 399478

OS Grid: SJ314994

Mapcode National: GBR 7X73.VJ

Mapcode Global: WH86T.CL9R

Plus Code: 9C5RFXQ8+27

Entry Name: Crosby United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 26 March 1973

Last Amended: 20 December 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257394

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463931

Location: Sefton, L23

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Blundellsands

Built-Up Area: Crosby

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Blundellsands St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Crosby

Description


CROSBY

SJ39NW MERSEY ROAD
778-1/3/103 (North side)
26/03/73 Crosby United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
MERSEY ROAD
Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational church, now United Reformed church. 1897-8
(dated 1897 at east end); by Douglas and Fordham. Snecked red
sandstone, graduated green slate roofs.
STYLE: Gothic.
PLAN: nave with fleche, low north and south aisles, south-east
porch, large north and south transepts, west chancel,
south-west choir vestry (with organ-house above).
EXTERIOR: the 4-bay nave has angle-buttresses terminating in
octagonal turrets, large side buttresses pierced by the
aisles, 2-centred arched 3-light clerestory windows with
stepped arched lights, a large 2-centred arched 3-light east
window with traceried lights, and a slated fleche with open
arcading at the foot; the aisles have a pair of small
2-centred arched windows in each bay. The east bay on the
south side has a large gabled porch with coupled arched
doorways set in a 2-centred arch with 4 orders of moulding.
The transepts have large 2-centred arched 4-light windows with
moulded surrounds and geometrical tracery. The 2-storey choir
vestry has a polygonal turret attached to its south side. The
chancel has a 5-light window with geometrical plate tracery,
flanked by cusped blind windows.
Large congregational hall (probably formerly school) linked to
north side of church by single-storey range along east end: in
similar style, and with 2 fleche ventilators on the roof.
INTERIOR: double-chamfered 2-centred arched aisle arcades on
short piers, forming 3 wide bays and 2 narrow bays at the east
end; large transept arches in the same style; larger chancel
arch with 2 orders of moulding; impressive timber roof of
unusual construction, with hammerbeams supported by raked
straight braces, arch-braced collar trusses carrying 2 sets of
wind-braced purlins, and a flat boarded ceiling over the upper
set.



Listing NGR: SJ3146399478

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.