History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Blundellsands, Sefton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4844 / 53°29'3"N

Longitude: -3.0399 / 3°2'23"W

OS Eastings: 331090

OS Northings: 399136

OS Grid: SJ310991

Mapcode National: GBR 7X64.NN

Mapcode Global: WH86T.8PN4

Plus Code: 9C5RFXM6+Q2

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 26 March 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257680

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463577

Location: Sefton, L23

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Blundellsands

Built-Up Area: Crosby

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Blundellsands St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Crosby

Listing Text


CROSBY

SJ39NW BRIDGE ROAD
778-1/3/22 (East side)
26/03/73 Church of St Nicholas

II

Church. 1873-4, by TD Barry & Sons, with 1894 addition to west
end by WD Caroe. Thin yellow sandstone rubble with freestone
dressings, slate roofs and copper-clad fleche.
STYLE: Decorated.
PLAN: 6-bay nave and 2-bay apsidal chancel as one vessel with
fleche at the junction, north and south aisles with gabled
porches, apsidal west chapel.
EXTERIOR: the nave has 6 circular clerestory windows with
differing tracery, and in the west gable 2 tall narrow
2-centred arched 3-light windows with elaborate Decorated
tracery and a rose window above. The chapel below these
windows has a 3-sided west end with a cusped window in each of
these sides, a steeply-pitched roof with apex cross, and a
square bay in each angle with a segmental-pointed window and a
hipped roof. The chancel has tall traceried 2-centred arched
windows with gables above. Elegant fleche with crockets and
finial.
INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades of cylindrical polished granite
columns with crocket caps, and 2-centred arches both moulded
and chamfered; clustered wall-shafts on foliated corbels (all
different), and moulded 2-centred arches to wooden wagon roof;
chancel arch formed by slender clustered wall-shafts rising to
traceried wooden arch; chancel with 2-bay arcades to north
organ house and south chapel, and very elaborate carved wooden
triptych reredos. West end of nave has elaborate triple arcade
to chapel of St Barnabas. North aisle has stained glass by
Kempe.

Listing NGR: SJ3109099136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.