This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9592 / 53°57'33"N
Longitude: -1.0842 / 1°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 460186
OS Northings: 451841
OS Grid: SE601518
Mapcode National: GBR NQWN.2H
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9RY6
Plus Code: 9C5WXW58+M8
Entry Name: 15 and 17, Coney Street
Listing Date: 19 August 1971
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463243
Location: Guildhall, York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Helen Stonegate with St Martin Coney Street
Church of England Diocese: York
SE6051NW CONEY STREET
1112-1/28/253 (South West side)
19/08/71 Nos.15 AND 17
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Shop and offices. Early C19; No.15 modernised, and No.17
rebuilt, in C20, re-using early C18 column, early C19 bow
window and eaves cornice. No.15 of orange brick in Flemish
bond, with marble faced office front, timber eaves cornice,
and slate hipped roof with brick stack: No.17 of red brick in
stretcher bond with painted stone column.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; 2-window front to No.15, 1-window front
to No.17. Shopfront to No.15 has glazed double doors recessed
between plate glass windows, all with semicircular fanlights.
Ground floor of No.17 has flat carriage arch with reset Tuscan
column forming the right jamb, and plate glass shopfront.
First floor windows to No.15 are 3-light shallow canted bays
with 1-pane sashes, fluted friezes and moulded cornices:
re-used window to No.17 is shallow tripartite bay with 16-pane
centre sash between 8-pane sashes, beaded panel frieze and
plain cornice. Windows on second floor of both buildings are
12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick; on third
floor, unequal 9-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills.
Dentilled modillion eaves cornice, returned at right end of
No.15, continued across No.17 beneath plain parapet, masking
roof. Inverted bell rainwater head at right end of No.15.
INTERIORS: not inspected: RCHM record the following. No.15 has
mid C19 fireplace and moulded cornice in first floor front
room. No.17 has early C19 fireplace and moulded cornice in
first floor front room.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.15 was built as offices for the newspaper
'The York Courant', continuing in this use until 1991. Re-used
features in No.17 survive from the George Inn, formerly
occupying the site and demolished 1869.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 126).
Listing NGR: SE6018451838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings