This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2157 / 51°12'56"N
Longitude: 1.4011 / 1°24'3"E
OS Eastings: 637617
OS Northings: 151780
OS Grid: TR376517
Mapcode National: GBR X1Y.M1V
Mapcode Global: VHMDG.7PKW
Entry Name: Building 68 and Attached Rear Wall, North Barracks
Listing Date: 29 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463080
Location: Walmer, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Walmer
Built-Up Area: Deal
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 35 SE DEAL NORTH BARRACK ROAD
(north east side)
Building 68 and attached rear wall,
Officer's house. 1810-1830. Rendered brick with rendered ridge and rear lateral stacks and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan with rear right-hand wing. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Symmetrical front with overhanging eaves, has mid C20 porch to round-arched doorways with batswing fanlights and 6-panel doors. Ground-floor 6/6-pane sashes, first-floor mid C20 casements; 3-window left-and and 4-window right-hand sides. The rear has a flat-roofed stair tower and single-storey service block. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to contain original stairs and fireplaces. Subsidiary features: Attached rear wall connects with Nos 65 and 67 (qqv). HISTORICAL NOTE: Built as officers' houses at the Deal military hospital. This was one of the first generation of military hospitals in England, built in 1797 and of which this is the last part. They were probably for the surgeon and other officials, comparable with the c1814 houses at East barracks former naval hospital (qqv), and form an interesting group.
Listing NGR: TR3677351934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings