History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little London Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gillingham, Medway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.381 / 51°22'51"N

Longitude: 0.5891 / 0°35'20"E

OS Eastings: 580269

OS Northings: 167847

OS Grid: TQ802678

Mapcode National: GBR PPY.CQV

Mapcode Global: VHJLW.5K84

Entry Name: Little London Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 December 1973

Last Amended: 5 December 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462602

Location: Medway, ME7

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rainham North

Built-Up Area: Gillingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Gillingham

Listing Text


GILLINGHAM

TQ86NW LOWER TWYDALL LANE, Twydall
686-1/8/122 (North West side)
21/12/73 Little London Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
TWYDALL LANE, Twydall
(North West side)
Little London Farmhouse)

II

House. Late C15-early C16, altered C17, C19 rear range.
Timber-frame on a flint plinth, partly brick, render and
weatherboard, brick left-hand external gable and rear lateral
stacks, with a tiled roof.
PLAN: 3-room parallel plan with a right-hand lean-to and a C19
rear service range.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-window range. Flint plinth, rendered
ground floor and close-studded first floor with end tension
braces and 2 cills to small blocked late C16 clerestory
windows under the eaves; C17 English bond left-hand gable and
right-hand weatherboard gable.
A C20 bracketed timber canopy with a hipped roof to the right
of the left-hand window and boarded door; left-hand 8/8-pane
sash in exposed frame, central and right-hand C20 casements,
first-floor C19 casements and central 3/6-pane sash.
Right-hand lean-to has raking roof and C19 timber-framed half
gable.
Lower rear wing encloses a lateral stack, with a gabled stair
tower in the left-hand angle, and a late C20 conservatory
linked to a rear C19 brick and tile service extension.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
A retaining wall in the cellar contains the capital of a
column (the shaft of which is within the garden) which may
have come from the chantry chapel built by John Beafits from
Twydall Manor House in 1433 and demolished in 1756.
(The History and Topography Survey of the County of Kent:
Hastead E: 2nd ed.: vol 4: 1972-: 235, 236).


Listing NGR: TQ8026967845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.