This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3747 / 53°22'28"N
Longitude: -3.1332 / 3°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 324704
OS Northings: 387025
OS Grid: SJ247870
Mapcode National: GBR 6YKD.GZ
Mapcode Global: WH766.VF5Q
Plus Code: 9C5R9VF8+VP
Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine
Listing Date: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 443635
Location: Wirral, CH48
Electoral Ward/Division: Greasby, Frankby and Irby
Built-Up Area: Birkenhead
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Frankby St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE FRANKBY ROAD
4/14 Church of
St. John the
Church. 1861-2. By W. and J. Hay. Stone with banded slate
roof. 3-bay nave with north aisle and chancel with north
vestry. Nave has 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery
between buttresses. South gabled porch has entrance of one
order and small stained glass lights. West end has angle
buttresses and 2 traceried lights with quatrefoil above;
traceried light to aisle and stack to junction of nave and
aisle. Aisle has paired trefoil-headed lights. Lean-to
vestry has trefoil-headed lights, entrance with shouldered
lintel and 2-light east window. Nave east gable has bell-
cote. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and 3-light east
window; south traceried light, and high-placed small cusped
light to sanctuary. Interior: Arcade on round columns, hood
moulds with angel stops. Collar-truss roof with laminated
arch braces on corbels. Round font has interlaced blind
arcading. Dole cupboard mounted on wall, possibly C18, has
turned balusters to doors. 4 brass chandeliers. Chancel
arch has corbels with figures, to south side a sower.
Pulpit has canted ends and cusped niche. Chancel has north
organ loft with painted organ pipes and case. Panelled roof
painted with IHS monogram and eagle of St. John; cornice has
Tudor flower ornament. East wall has timber panelling. 2
cusped sedilia with central colonnette to south. Walls have
panels with IHS monogram and 4 paintings in bolection
moulded frames. Corona Lucis at west end of chancel. The
church has an excellent series of stained glass windows.
North aisle windows are Morris and Co. (Burne-Jones) 1873.
Chancel south-east (1877) and vestry, north (1870) by C.E.
Kempe. Chancel east (1859), south-west (1860s), nave south
(1860s), nave west (1868) and aisle north (1870s) by Clayton
Listing NGR: SJ2470487025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings